Gen 3 Insight Forum banner
21 - 40 of 65 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2019 Honda Insight EX
3,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
:smile::smile: My daughter sold it at a Honda dealer, who picked it up from the VIN number.
Based on the last 6 digits on my vin 010330, it seems like my 3rd gen Insight is #10,330.

·
Super Moderator
2019 OWP Insight EX, 2021 PWP Insight EX
1,685 Posts
Based on the last 6 digits on my vin 010330, it seems like my 3rd gen Insight is #10,330.
If that's how it works, I'm 6,937!

·
Super Moderator
2019 Honda Insight EX
3,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
If that's how it works, I'm 6,937!
@Moviemike said the 2nd gen is based on the VIN so I'm just assuming the 3rd gen is the same. Looking at the VIN, the last 6 digits, seems to make the most sense to designate what # Insight I got.:smile:

·
Super Moderator
2019 OWP Insight EX, 2021 PWP Insight EX
1,685 Posts
@Moviemike said the 2nd gen is based on the VIN so I'm just assuming the 3rd gen is the same. Looking at the VIN, the last 6 digits, seems to make the most sense to designate what # Insight I got.:smile:
Sounds...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,838 Posts
So comparing notes...
- my serial number is in the 12.5k range and your car is in the 10.3k range; both our cars are EX.
- my car completed production mid-Oct, and rolled to me straight from production line (mid-10/2018 mfg date)
- your car has 9/2018 mfg date.
- if Honda's serial numbering is sequential within a model, they produced 2.2k Insights in 4-6 weeks. This roughly matches average reported monthly Insight sales rate... so it seems like Honda is only producing the Insight to 'exactly' match demand.

They must do a really good job at spreading VINs out across the country, because they seem so much more random than sequential. The other Insight that delivered on the same truck as mine had a 12.3k serial number.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Honda Insight EX
3,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 · (Edited)
So comparing notes...
- my serial number is in the 12.5k range and your car is in the 10.3k range; both our cars are EX.
- my car completed production mid-Oct, and rolled to me straight from production line (mid-10/2018 mfg date)
- your car has 9/2018 mfg date.
- if Honda's serial numbering is sequential within a model, they produced 2.2k Insights in 4-6 weeks. This roughly matches average reported monthly Insight sales rate... so it seems like Honda is only producing the Insight to 'exactly' match demand.

They must do a really good job at spreading VINs out across the country, because they seem so much more random than sequential. The other Insight that delivered on the same truck as mine had a 12.3k serial number.
I have noticed the VIN on some of the newer Insights showing up on my dealership's website are above 30,000 like 030838. From what I know the Insight is sold in Canada, US, Mexico, and Japan. I assume Japan getting the Insight must have increased the production numbers the past 3 months. I think trim, color, and how they allocate each car to a dealership spreads the VINs out randomly once it leaves the factory.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Mine is 20,580.

Purchased 2-12-19.

Thanks to prior discussion asked the dealer to check the hood latch, rattle in center console when heater fan is a maximum, and gas cap alignment. They found the gas cap out of alignment and fixed prior to delivery. Other stuff was OK.
Thanks guys !!

·
Registered
120 Posts
Just curious, but what are the last 5 digits of your VIN (serial production number)? Wondering if you own one from early in the production run.
01954 - I bought my car the first week it was available.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Mine is 025974, build date is 01/19. I'll have to check my car for the gap. I've seen the pics in this thread and some of them the gap is huge!!

·
Registered
167 Posts
My build date is 03/19 and last 6 of VIN are 032734. Purchased mine middle of May

·
Registered
836 Posts
Honda just released their 2019 digital factbook which shows the number of Insights they made (23,727) in 2018. We had been pretty sure that the last 6 digits of the VIN indicates what numbered Insight we got but just not 100% sure. Your VIN and build date info pretty much matches up with where Honda would had been manufacturing during January 2019. So now we know what the last 6 digits of the VIN means with 100% certainty. Congrats on owning Insight #25,974! :wink:

Honda is producing almost 2x the amount of Insights for each one sold (12,510 sold by 12/18 & 23,727 made by 12/18). They must be close to making 50,000 Insights by now since they sold 25,058 Insights as of June 2019. :surprise:

Unless someone reports a flush fuel door manufactured before March 2019. It seems like March is when Honda fixed it. :smile:
Ours is 22055 and flush fuel door.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Touring. Manufactured 01/19.
Fuel door not flush but only by a very small margin. I notice it does have "play" where you can press it in a little and its flush.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Honda Insight EX
3,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Touring. Manufactured 01/19.
Fuel door not flush but only by a very small margin. I notice it does have "play" where you can press it in a little and its flush.
I would say mine is similar to yours. Back in December 2018 when I bought mine, my dealership had 2 other Insights that had fuel doors with similar small gaps, and would go further in when pushed. While the Civics next to them had flush fuel doors, and wouldn't move when I try pushing them in further.

21 - 40 of 65 Posts