Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I parked my car at our rec center last night. Several hours later I was told my car lights were on. I did not lock the car. I went outside and discovered I had left the engine running, I put it in park and failed to push the start button. I now realize you have to push the start button to shut off. I guess there is no safety system to shut off engine when door is opened or remote is moved away from car. I now know I need to pay more attention to this key-less system. Won't help my gas mileage this month. I wonder if I am only one on these forums who has done this. If you know of a way that automatically shuts off engine when you exit car, please let me know. Thanks. Bogey

·
Registered
642 Posts
I parked my car at our rec center last night. Several hours later I was told my car lights were on. I did not lock the car. I went outside and discovered I had left the engine running, I put it in park and failed to push the start button. I now realize you have to push the start button to shut off. I guess there is no safety system to shut off engine when door is opened or remote is moved away from car. I now know I need to pay more attention to this key-less system. Won't help my gas mileage this month. I wonder if I am only one on these forums who has done this. If you know of a way that automatically shuts off engine when you exit car, please let me know. Thanks. Bogey
Interesting. The car should have let out several beeps outside the car when you shut the door and left it on, assuming the key was with you and not still in the car. What trim level is the car? My Ford has an auto shut off system if you leave it on and go nowhere for a long while.

·
Super Moderator
4,098 Posts
To clarify, was the key left in car? It seems so, since the car continued to run...?

There are warning alerts that sound inside and outside of the car if the key goes outside of the car and all doors are closed. The car won't turn off, but there should be audible sounds to trigger you to look into what's wrong.

There was discussion in this thread of what would happen if the car wasn't powered off; however the alerts mentioned in the thread work only if the key is removed from the car's operating range (i.e. inside the car)

https://www.gen3insight.com/forum/153-powertrain-technical-discussion/190-not-pressing-stop-start-button-before-getting-out-car.html

·
Registered
109 Posts
There was discussion in this thread of what would happen if the car wasn't powered off; however the alerts mentioned in the thread work only if the key is removed from the car's operating range (i.e. inside the car)
When I leave the car running and walk away I immediately hear 3 loud and quick beeps. It's distinct and alarming.
If you leave the keys in the car, I don't think you'll hear anything. You might not have a car waiting for you though :surprise:

The default setting is for the car to automatically lock when you leave the car. It beeps once when you close the door and beeps a second time when you walk further away - the doors only lock on the second beep. If you are using this default setting, you will quickly tune in to these sounds and know that the car is not locked as expected. I sometimes travel with two sets of keys and the absence of beeps tells me that I left one set inside the car.

BTW, try leaving your second set of keys inside the trunk.

·
Super Moderator
4,098 Posts
When I leave the car running and walk away I immediately hear 3 loud and quick beeps. It's distinct and alarming.
If you leave the keys in the car, I don't think you'll hear anything. You might not have a car waiting for you though :surprise:

The default setting is for the car to automatically lock when you leave the car. It beeps once when you close the door and beeps a second time when you walk further away - the doors only lock on the second beep. If you are using this default setting, you will quickly tune in to these sounds and know that the car is not locked as expected. I sometimes travel with two sets of keys and the absence of beeps tells me that I left one set inside the car.

BTW, try leaving your second set of keys inside the trunk.
Minor correction to above.... the walk away auto lock is NOT a default setting. OFF is the default. (Another default is that all doors open when doors are unlocked.) To set walk away locks as a customized feature, go to Vehicle --> Door/Window Setup

Attachments

·
Registered
62 Posts
I had the same issue. There are conflicting instructions from either the manual and Honda Tech videos.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
To clarify, was the key left in car? It seems so, since the car continued to run...?

There are warning alerts that sound inside and outside of the car if the key goes outside of the car and all doors are closed. The car won't turn off, but there should be audible sounds to trigger you to look into what's wrong.

https://www.gen3insight.com/forum/153-powertrain-technical-discussion/190-not-pressing-stop-start-button-before-getting-out-car.html
Thank you for the responses to my situation. I have a congenital moderate hearing loss in the higher frequencies. I had the key fob in my pocket when I left the car running. I backed in so I did not walk in front of car or I would have noticed running lights on. I heard no beeps. After reading these responses I went and started car, left engine running and walked away. I DID hear 3 beeps but was expecting it. At least I know there is a warning signal about leaving a running car. I sure will pay attention in future. I live in a gated community with 24 hour security which is probably why my a car was not stolen. Just glad I did not do this at any public parking lot.

·
Super Moderator
4,098 Posts
I had the same issue. There are conflicting instructions from either the manual and Honda Tech videos.
...or perhaps the walk away locks were set by dealer during delivery? Walk away lock set-up was on my dealer's checklist but I declined at the time, so my car was left at the default. The dealer also had things like phone pairing, refueling, and door unlock settings as part of the delivery set-up checklist we went thru.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Just turn the engine to off.

Thank you for the responses to my situation. I have a congenital moderate hearing loss in the higher frequencies. I had the key fob in my pocket when I left the car running. I backed in so I did not walk in front of car or I would have noticed running lights on. I heard no beeps. After reading these responses I went and started car, left engine running and walked away. I DID hear 3 beeps but was expecting it. At least I know there is a warning signal about leaving a running car. I sure will pay attention in future. I live in a gated community with 24 hour security which is probably why my a car was not stolen. Just glad I did not do this at any public parking lot.

If you just turn the engine off first the electronic transmission will place itself into the "park" position. Voila.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank You BlueBoy. One more problem solved in my life and it works! Too bad the difficulty I have getting in and out can't so easily solved. Yes, I drove the car before I bought it and knew what I was getting into comfortwise. Ain't too bad once you get in.

·
Registered
109 Posts
If you just turn the engine off first the electronic transmission will place itself into the "park" position. Voila.
Yes, but those 3 sharp beeps mean something. I believe systems are still on and draining the 12V battery. I made the mistake of leaving a friend's Prius in park and exiting the car. I didn't realize it wouldn't turn off. Next morning the 12V battery was dead and the car needed a jump. Different car, but probably the same behavior.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Thank You BlueBoy. One more problem solved in my life and it works! Too bad the difficulty I have getting in and out can't so easily solved. Yes, I drove the car before I bought it and knew what I was getting into comfortwise. Ain't too bad once you get in.
I'm an old guy; but this works for me. I just turn around with my butt to the cushion and sit down. Swing legs to right and there I am. Get out same way except use handle assist located above the door. Works for passenger side too. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm an old guy; but this works for me. I just turn around with my butt to the cushion and sit down. Swing legs to right and there I am. Get out same way except use handle assist located above the door. Works for passenger side too. Hope this helps.
Thank you very much for the idea. I tried doing this method and it does make getting in and out easier. I can manage without using handle assist to exit.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Is there any technical reason why the Power On/Off/Start/Ignition/Watever button has to pressed to turn off the car? If the driver seat sensor registers no person in the seat and driver seat belt is sensed as disconnected, and if the key fob RFID that authenticated the car has the Lock button pushed, why can't the engine shut down and parking brake automatically engage?

let me provide a real world example. I park the car, get out of the car with key fob in my pocket, and car beeps at me because I didn't shut it off. Then my wife yells at me for not shutting off the car. This happens to me a lot. Obviously the car is smart enough to know the drivers seat belt is unbuckled, the drivers seat is vacated from weight sensor, and the key fob RFID that authenticated the car has exited the car and is still within RFID range. While the car is in within sight / RFID range, why can't I hit the Lock button and have everything shut off and engage parking brake without me needing to get back into the car to hit the Power button?

The Power On/Off/Start/watever button isn't a throw switch that closes some circuit energizes some relay which throws a switch that powers on a whole bunch of other stuff like fuel pump, ignition system and ECU. The Watever/Power On/Off is merely just a confirmation that you are ready to power on/off the car. This is not a manual keyed switch, that rotates, throws a switch, energizes a relay that throws another switched circuit that runs the fuel pump and ignition system. there simply isn't that type of mechanical circuit in the the Insight and many push to start cars these days. Perhaps one can argue that unintentional startup is not wanted due the car releasing carbon monoxide into an enclosed space, but shutting if off? What is the harm in that provided driver seat is vacated, seatbelt unbuckled, key fob RFID is outside of the car but still within range?

I know what you're thinking... IronQQQ is an idiot. Just remember to shut off the car next time... but many of the things we do with traditional ICE cars are perhaps pointless relics from the days where everything in a car is manual and mechanical. Perhaps there is a lot I don't understand my comments are just gross generalizations of the way I think car systems function.

·
Super Moderator
1,243 Posts
I see your point, but what if you left your wife in the car with the AC and radio on? All that would stop. The car is smart enough to throw itself in park if you vacate, I'm sure there are other reasons for not auto-powering off (and some probably legal). It would probably make working on the car more difficult as one would need the car running for certain tasks.

·
Super Moderator
4,098 Posts
Is there any technical reason why the Power On/Off/Start/Ignition/Watever button has to pressed to turn off the car? If the driver seat sensor registers no person in the seat and driver seat belt is sensed as disconnected, and if the key fob RFID that authenticated the car has the Lock button pushed, why can't the engine shut down and parking brake automatically engage?
[...]
I know what you're thinking... IronQQQ is an idiot. Just remember to shut off the car next time... but many of the things we do with traditional ICE cars are perhaps pointless relics from the days where everything in a car is manual and mechanical. Perhaps there is a lot I don't understand my comments are just gross generalizations of the way I think car systems function.
I don't think there's a technical reason... but I think it depends on relative/starting perspective. :)

My prior Honda (still runs!) is 20+ years old with keyed ignition. Moving to the push button start was a mentally digestible transition because the functions were similar to the keyed ignition.

I think Honda technology will get more advanced, but they're stepping through it sequentially to help users transition. In contrast, you've seen what's advanced/possible/future on a Tesla, and see Honda moving too slowly.

As a middle ground (?) the Insight can be programmed to a "one-button shutdown" (though it still requires pushing the power button, which is your frustration point) - How do you stop your Insight?

(And perhaps I'm mistaken, but I think the seat weight sensors are on passenger side only...?)

·
Super Moderator
2,713 Posts
While the car is in within sight / RFID range, why can't I hit the Lock button and have everything shut off and engage parking brake without me needing to get back into the car to hit the Power button?
That would be nice if they allow it with "walk away auto-lock", too.

·
Super Moderator
1,243 Posts
I think auto-stopping anything would be bad. What is a sensor went bad while driving and the car shut down?

It's bad enough it goes into park if I open the driver's door with the seatbelt unbuckled. Just to get the car on ramps for an oil change, I need to lean out the door. I must buckle the belt behind me in order to be able to see clearly. A nuisance, but one I can live with. If the car shut down automatically if the belt is unbluckled and no pressure on the seat sensor (there isn't one on the driver's side), I'd never get it on the ramps!

Automatically shutting off the car may be a legal thing as well.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts