Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Is there any technical reason why the Power On/Off/Start/Ignition/Watever button has to pressed to turn off the car? If the driver seat sensor registers no person in the seat and driver seat belt is sensed as disconnected, and if the key fob RFID that authenticated the car has the Lock button pushed, why can't the engine shut down and parking brake automatically engage?

let me provide a real world example. I park the car, get out of the car with key fob in my pocket, and car beeps at me because I didn't shut it off. Then my wife yells at me for not shutting off the car. This happens to me a lot. Obviously the car is smart enough to know the drivers seat belt is unbuckled, the drivers seat is vacated from weight sensor, and the key fob RFID that authenticated the car has exited the car and is still within RFID range. While the car is in within sight / RFID range, why can't I hit the Lock button and have everything shut off and engage parking brake without me needing to get back into the car to hit the Power button?

The Power On/Off/Start/watever button isn't a throw switch that closes some circuit energizes some relay which throws a switch that powers on a whole bunch of other stuff like fuel pump, ignition system and ECU. The Watever/Power On/Off is merely just a confirmation that you are ready to power on/off the car. This is not a manual keyed switch, that rotates, throws a switch, energizes a relay that throws another switched circuit that runs the fuel pump and ignition system. there simply isn't that type of mechanical circuit in the the Insight and many push to start cars these days. Perhaps one can argue that unintentional startup is not wanted due the car releasing carbon monoxide into an enclosed space, but shutting if off? What is the harm in that provided driver seat is vacated, seatbelt unbuckled, key fob RFID is outside of the car but still within range?

I know what you're thinking... IronQQQ is an idiot. Just remember to shut off the car next time... but many of the things we do with traditional ICE cars are perhaps pointless relics from the days where everything in a car is manual and mechanical. Perhaps there is a lot I don't understand my comments are just gross generalizations of the way I think car systems function.

·
Super Moderator
1,066 Posts
I see your point, but what if you left your wife in the car with the AC and radio on? All that would stop. The car is smart enough to throw itself in park if you vacate, I'm sure there are other reasons for not auto-powering off (and some probably legal). It would probably make working on the car more difficult as one would need the car running for certain tasks.

·
Super Moderator
3,315 Posts
Is there any technical reason why the Power On/Off/Start/Ignition/Watever button has to pressed to turn off the car? If the driver seat sensor registers no person in the seat and driver seat belt is sensed as disconnected, and if the key fob RFID that authenticated the car has the Lock button pushed, why can't the engine shut down and parking brake automatically engage?
[...]
I know what you're thinking... IronQQQ is an idiot. Just remember to shut off the car next time... but many of the things we do with traditional ICE cars are perhaps pointless relics from the days where everything in a car is manual and mechanical. Perhaps there is a lot I don't understand my comments are just gross generalizations of the way I think car systems function.
I don't think there's a technical reason... but I think it depends on relative/starting perspective. :)

My prior Honda (still runs!) is 20+ years old with keyed ignition. Moving to the push button start was a mentally digestible transition because the functions were similar to the keyed ignition.

I think Honda technology will get more advanced, but they're stepping through it sequentially to help users transition. In contrast, you've seen what's advanced/possible/future on a Tesla, and see Honda moving too slowly.

As a middle ground (?) the Insight can be programmed to a "one-button shutdown" (though it still requires pushing the power button, which is your frustration point) - How do you stop your Insight?

(And perhaps I'm mistaken, but I think the seat weight sensors are on passenger side only...?)

·
Super Moderator
2,334 Posts
While the car is in within sight / RFID range, why can't I hit the Lock button and have everything shut off and engage parking brake without me needing to get back into the car to hit the Power button?
That would be nice if they allow it with "walk away auto-lock", too.

·
Super Moderator
1,066 Posts
I think auto-stopping anything would be bad. What is a sensor went bad while driving and the car shut down?

It's bad enough it goes into park if I open the driver's door with the seatbelt unbuckled. Just to get the car on ramps for an oil change, I need to lean out the door. I must buckle the belt behind me in order to be able to see clearly. A nuisance, but one I can live with. If the car shut down automatically if the belt is unbluckled and no pressure on the seat sensor (there isn't one on the driver's side), I'd never get it on the ramps!

Automatically shutting off the car may be a legal thing as well.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts