Gen 3 Insight Forum banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts
I think auto-stopping anything would be bad. What is a sensor went bad while driving and the car shut down?

It's bad enough it goes into park if I open the driver's door with the seatbelt unbuckled. Just to get the car on ramps for an oil change, I need to lean out the door. I must buckle the belt behind me in order to be able to see clearly. A nuisance, but one I can live with. If the car shut down automatically if the belt is unbluckled and no pressure on the seat sensor (there isn't one on the driver's side), I'd never get it on the ramps!

Automatically shutting off the car may be a legal thing as well.
There would be conditions for autoshut down.

1. Driver Seat belt unbuckled
2. Passenger seat belt unbuckled
3. Driver seat sensor vacant state
4. Passenger seat sensor vacant state
5. Car in Park
6. Driver door closed
7. RFID that authenticated car within range
8. RFID of that authenticated the start Lock button is pressed

all of these are AND statements, meaning all of these conditions have to be TRUE. that is already 2^8 just based on conditions. I'm not familiar with automotive design but in other types of design i have worked on one would designate a minimum reliability for a particular hazard.. i.e. "Inadvertent car shutoff when during drive when key fob lock is pressed" and class that failure is "major" requiring a failure rate of no less than 10^-5. Meaning, it can only failt once every 100,000 times. You create a fault tree based on software and hardware logic and physical component reliability. If you find a particularly vulnerability int he tree, which gives you a low reliability calculation, you could make a sensor redundant.. i.e. dual driver seat sensors or perhaps a dual element sensor to bump up the resultant reliability number.

In the event you do have a "disagree" between the two seat sensor states (one sensor is occupied and the other is not occupied), the computer could disable the auto shutdown feature entirely.

there are ways to mitigate things, it's just a matter of how much time and money the manufacture wants to spend and whether or not they want to pass it onto the consumer.

just a few days ago, I was driving an RX350 and walked away from the car without shutting off the engine and the car vehemently beeps at me!

there are ways to mitigate things, it's just a matter of how much time and money the manufacture wants to spend and whether or not they want to pass it onto the consumer.

just a few days ago, I was driving an RX350 and walked away from the car without shutting off the engine and the car vehemently beeps at me!
I think this is exactly right... how much time/money Honda will invest. I think Honda will eventually get there (as competition will do these and it will become expected), but they are a mainstream brand designed for the masses, rather than trying to the innovation leader in these areas.

The Insight also beeps loudly at you (3x loud/quick beeps), if the car is left running... but maybe your point is that if there are sensors that alert this, there are additional sensors/programming that can improve it.
- Key in pocket, what if I walk away for a few minutes
- What kind of issues are you having with your Insight?

Skip to 11:30 and this has some of the auto shut on, auto park, auto on/off features that I keep on harping about that Honda could have instituted on the Insight via software, but did not.

Bjorn gives credit to Honda as Tesla, Porsche and now Honda are the only ones to have these auto on/off features.

I doubt I'd use the auto-on since I get in my car to sit during kids' athletic practices. During those times, the most I would use is accessory. Auto-off, on the other hand, I'd definitely use. I'd also kill to have those back-up/bird's-eye-view cameras in the Insight!

A long time ago I wrote about why I thought about why it is needless to have a start button to place the car into drive since most cars have electrons engine and gear select controls. I thought the entire action could be authenticated by the RFID key. The door unlock is already keyless and authenticated by the RFID key. It would just take a further authentication coupled with seat belt status and seat sensor status to the car into drive without needing to press the start button. All this is predicates that the Insight is a electric motor driven car. The electric motor is the prime mover.

Bjorn illustrates that in the ID3, where he unlocks, gets in the car seat and just drives off. There is a start stop button too but it's hidden since it's redundant and not needed. Onthe insight The ICE could stay dormant until you drive off or until you press the engine button. He also mentions this in the Honda e

I made a YT link to 15:23 but in case the forum truncates it, skip to there.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.