Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I have a 2019 EX insight. I like the wheels but I want a wider tire. What are my options to get a tire say an inch wider. What would be the specs and would I need a wider wheel too. I am not a tire expert :)

·
Super Moderator
2019 Honda Insight EX (White Orchid Pearl)
2,333 Posts
Hi I have a 2019 EX insight. I like the wheels but I want a wider tire. What are my options to get a tire say an inch wider. What would be the specs and would I need a wider wheel too. I am not a tire expert :)

I got the above info from tirerack. I'm not sure if more tire sizes beside the alternative 205/60/15 will fit the EX's 16" wheel.

·
Super Moderator
3,314 Posts
Since sidewalls are flexible, a given tire can fit on a variety of rim widths.

Per this description from Gold Eagle tire: for a "plus zero" upgrade (wider tire on same diameter wheel), the general rule of thumb is that a tire up to 20 mm (0.79 in) wider than stock will fit on the original rim. The observed width of the tire will vary depending on the width of the rim, as a tire expands 5 mm (0.2 in) for every 12.5 mm (0.49 in) increase in rim width.

Another rule of thumb from Tire Rack is that every 0.5 in change in rim width will change the tire's section width by 0.2 in.

Net, you can get +0.79 in wider on the same rims, but would need to upsize the wheels (e.g. "plus one" inch) if you want more width than that.

Also as watchouts and/or for awareness, wider tires increase hydroplaning and control risk on loose surfaces (e.g. gravel), and road noise may increase.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I put wider tires on my 8th gen 2010 honda accord. Had no issues. Keep in mind you'll want to measure the front tire space from lock to lock to ensure the insight can fit a wider tire. Last thing you want is to lock out your steering and end up rubbing the tire on the frame or wheel well... But your thinking is spot on. Some things are better wider... But some things definitely aren't better wider........

·
Super Moderator
3,314 Posts
I put wider tires on my 8th gen 2010 honda accord. Had no issues. Keep in mind you'll want to measure the front tire space from lock to lock to ensure the insight can fit a wider tire. Last thing you want is to lock out your steering and end up rubbing the tire on the frame or wheel well... But your thinking is spot on. Some things are better wider... But some things definitely aren't better wider........
How wide were you able to go?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts