Gen 3 Insight Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just had my 2019 Insight's driver door blown open by a gust of wind (possibly up to 25mph) while exiting the car, and heard a metallic "crack" noise. The door now goes past the normal stop position (which is normally about ~70 degrees from perpendicular) and now stops perpendicular to the car (90 degrees). Has anyone else had this happen to them? Any suggestions on what to do about it? Thanks!!

· Registered
174 Posts
Just had my 2019 Insight's driver door blown open by a gust of wind (possibly up to 25mph) while exiting the car, and heard a metallic "crack" noise. The door now goes past the normal stop position (which is normally about ~70 degrees from perpendicular) and now stops perpendicular to the car (90 degrees). Has anyone else had this happen to them? Any suggestions on what to do about it? Thanks!!

It sounds like your door check/door stop that keeps the door from opening too far snapped from the force of the wind. If you are not familiar with this part, when you open the door, the part is between the upper and lower door hinges on both the door side and the hinge pillar side. On older vehicles this was metal. I believe I remember seeing on our Insights it is black plastic. It should not be an expensive part.

· Super Moderator
2019 OWP Insight EX, 2021 PWP Insight EX
1,851 Posts
If no visible damage from the outside, you may have just broken the check strap between the door and car. This is what stops the door from opening too far. Compare to the passenger door and you'll see. Hopefully nothing serious.
Hood Automotive design Sleeve Automotive tire Collar

1 - 4 of 4 Posts