Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2019 Honda Insight EX
2,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Drove from Boston, MA to Nashua, NH earlier today and back. Averaged 45mpg and it was really windy. Never really got to test how secured my hood is until now. I can say my hood doesn't vibrate or move around but I had to constantly keep my Insight going straight when a gust of wind hits the car.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Honda Insight EX
2,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Temperature was 35F-45F when I did my drive to NH, it was sunny, and windy. My speed was between 60-75mph but mostly 65-70mph. I actually drove the car instead of using ACC.

·
Administrator
4,697 Posts
Temperature was 35F-45F when I did my drive to NH, it was sunny, and windy. My speed was between 60-75mph but mostly 65-70mph. I actually drove the car instead of using ACC.
For the wind during your drive - was it a crosswind (same effect each driving direction), or was it a headwind/tailwind net effect? 45 mpg at highway speeds with wind is pretty decent result.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Honda Insight EX
2,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
For the wind during your drive - was it a crosswind (same effect each driving direction), or was it a headwind/tailwind net effect? 45 mpg at highway speeds with wind is pretty decent result.
Crosswind, had to slightly adjust the steering wheel to keep my car going straight.

·
Registered
2019 Touring Crystal Black Pearl / Mocha
346 Posts
Just scored the most pathetic gas economy ever...

It was on the highway 65-75 mph, 2 people in the car. Rolling hills but I made sure there was no change of elevation overall. 37°F. Eco mode with very eco friendly driving. Passive heating. Dry pavement. Ok there was strong winds to the point where the car was seriously jerking left and right. Mostly lateral wind but there got to be some front facing component. Anyways.... 34.4mpg. WTF? This is just very sad at this point.

·
Super Moderator
2019 OWP Insight EX, 2021 PWP Insight EX
1,457 Posts

It was on the highway 65-75 mph, 2 people in the car. Rolling hills but I made sure there was no change of elevation overall. 37°F. Eco mode with very eco friendly driving. Passive heating. Dry pavement. Ok there was strong winds to the point where the car was seriously jerking left and right. Mostly lateral wind but there got to be some front facing component. Anyways.... 34.4mpg. WTF? This is just very sad at this point.
You didn't mention how long the drive was, but at that speed and temperature, and with that load, I'm not surprised to see such a low number. There are people on Fuelly.com with LIFETIME numbers in the 30s. You'll do much better once the weather starts cooperating (and you tone down your speed a tad)!

·
Registered
409 Posts

The wind will mess up your fuel economy, especially at highway speeds. I drive every day 50 miles to work in flat Florida. Some days I will get 51MPG going 70MPH, others when it's windy I will only get 40. Even if you have lateral winds it will mess up the engineered flow of air around your car. The temperature DOES play an important part here as well.. Your batteries need to be warmed up, passive heating may not reach the battery as quick as it does your body (they are in the back and are also very dense so they will stay cool longer). I have noticed here in Florida on our colder days my MPG does go down as well.. The ideal temperature for this car seems to be around 70-75, that's when I get the super gas mileage.

·
Registered
346 Posts
You didn't mention how long the drive was, but at that speed and temperature, and with that load, I'm not surprised to see such a low number. There are people on Fuelly.com with LIFETIME numbers in the 30s. You'll do much better once the weather starts cooperating (and you tone down your speed a tad)!
It was a 33 mi stretch after already having driven for 40 minutes so everything was warm.

I know I won't get 50mpg but it's just that compared to this post Real World 2019 Insight MPG Testing Results
It seems VERY low, especially since I wasn't doing 75mph constantly. Also my wife's manual Focus easily gets 40mpg at these speeds :/

Unfortunately for me the warmer days are just June through August in new England haha.

·
Registered
346 Posts
The wind will mess up your fuel economy, especially at highway speeds. I drive every day 50 miles to work in flat Florida. Some days I will get 51MPG going 70MPH, others when it's windy I will only get 40. Even if you have lateral winds it will mess up the engineered flow of air around your car. The temperature DOES play an important part here as well.. Your batteries need to be warmed up, passive heating may not reach the battery as quick as it does your body (they are in the back and are also very dense so they will stay cool longer). I have noticed here in Florida on our colder days my MPG does go down as well.. The ideal temperature for this car seems to be around 70-75, that's when I get the super gas mileage.
Good to know you're experiencing the same with wind! I'm dreaming of these 75 degrees... It happened one day this far this year in Boston haha.

·
Registered
331 Posts

Three tips which may help mpg:
(1) On rolling hills, be sure you are going slower as you approach and reach the top of a hill. Also be going your fastest at the bottom.
(2) For high wind, find some tall vehicle, traveling at or near your speed, and just follow it, think of it as a wind block. However if its a tail wind, try to arrange so only small vehicles or no vehicles follow you. :)
(3) If there was a fast and big drop in air temperature, your tires likely lost some psi and will remain at the lower air pressure.

Each one of the above can be worth around 1-3 mpg on a tankful of gas.

·
Administrator
4,697 Posts
Unfortunately for me the warmer days are just June through August in new England haha.
Maybe temperature was the unexpected factor, as others already mentioned. 3-4 days ago (5/7/20), the Washington Post reported unusual weather, referring to it as "a nation divided" - with polar vortex and Arctic blast conditions on the east coast, and blistering heat conditions in the west coast.

Temps below 40-50 F seem to impact my mpg the most. But it looks like Boston will warm up to the 60-70 F range later this week. Even this small (10 degree) bump in temperature should give you an mpg help.

·
Registered
346 Posts
It was a 33 mi stretch after already having driven for 40 minutes so everything was warm.

I know I won't get 50mpg but it's just that compared to this post Real World 2019 Insight MPG Testing Results
It seems VERY low, especially since I wasn't doing 75mph constantly. Also my wife's manual Focus easily gets 40mpg at these speeds :/

Did 47mpg on the way back (same strech, 0ft elevation change) with 62mph average and 50°F degrees, no wind. This is more in line with the EPA I guess. But you really look like an a-hole when you arrive at the top of hills at 57mph on a highway... We're talking about a $1.50 difference worth of gas between these two 120mi trips so the hypermiling is not worth it to me, especially if it becomes dangerous with everybody passing you. Very happy with the car otherwise, long highway trips are truly a pleasure.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Did 47mpg on the way back (same strech, 0ft elevation change) with 62mph average and 50°F degrees, no wind. This is more in line with the EPA I guess. But you really look like an a-hole when you arrive at the top of hills at 57mph on a highway... We're talking about a $1.50 difference worth of gas between these two 120mi trips so the hypermiling is not worth it to me, especially if it becomes dangerous with everybody passing you. Very happy with the car otherwise, long highway trips are truly a pleasure.
You don't have to be an a-hole at the top of a hill, just an 18 wheeler truck...:) Getting 47 mpg vs the usual 37 provides the answer to your original mpg question. That the $1.50 benefit isn't worth it is a another matter.

I don't do many highway trips, but when I do, I cruse 70 mph on the Interstate (speed limit 65) and 60 mph on the 2 lane (speed limit 55). I maintain 60+mph on Interstate upgrades, have hit 80 on the downside, I use ACC (set to 70) on long flat stretches. I easily maintain upper 40's mpg, and often go over 50 with warmer temperatures and strategically pushing the white EV button. I don't do it for the money. I do it to meet "The MPG CHALLENGE"!!!! Of getting the highest mpg possible with gen 3 engineering.

·
Registered
346 Posts
You don't have to be an a-hole at the top of a hill, just an 18 wheeler truck...:) Getting 47 mpg vs the usual 37 provides the answer to your original mpg question. That the $1.50 benefit isn't worth it is a another matter.

I don't do many highway trips, but when I do, I cruse 70 mph on the Interstate (speed limit 65) and 60 mph on the 2 lane (speed limit 55). I maintain 60+mph on Interstate upgrades, have hit 80 on the downside, I use ACC (set to 70) on long flat stretches. I easily maintain upper 40's mpg, and often go over 50 with warmer temperatures and strategically pushing the white EV button. I don't do it for the money. I do it to meet "The MPG CHALLENGE"!!!! Of getting the highest mpg possible with gen 3 engineering.
Haha I get it, I love the mpg challenge too. Maybe not when I'm getting home tired on a Sunday night but most of the time yes. I-93 from Boston up to NH has relatively steep chunks and the engine is screaming (the hamsters?) when I use ACC, so I mostly don't. Sometimes I kind of wish the car would be smart enough to look on the map what's next and gradually lose a set number of mph over the climb (if no vehicle following of course).

Speaking of EV button, I noticed the battery bars stay most of the time between 3 and 4 bars with ECO mode and between 3 and 5 in normal mode (at 60mph+ speed). Same for you? When do you push the EV button, just before arriving at the top of a hill?

·
Administrator
4,697 Posts
Sometimes I kind of wish the car would be smart enough to look on the map what's next and gradually lose a set number of mph over the climb (if no vehicle following of course).
Until the car gets smart enough, I pre-map new routes to anticipate terrain... but I'd like option to store/conserve battery charge, knowing that a hill is coming up. I climb a hill ~3 miles in on the return part of my daily drive, and the car's logic tends to use battery reserve before I get there. The only 'option' close to conserving battery ahead of the hill is Sport mode, but it's not the most fuel efficient selection.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Haha I get it, I love the mpg challenge too. Maybe not when I'm getting home tired on a Sunday night but most of the time yes. I-93 from Boston up to NH has relatively steep chunks and the engine is screaming (the hamsters?) when I use ACC, so I mostly don't. Sometimes I kind of wish the car would be smart enough to look on the map what's next and gradually lose a set number of mph over the climb (if no vehicle following of course).

Speaking of EV button, I noticed the battery bars stay most of the time between 3 and 4 bars with ECO mode and between 3 and 5 in normal mode (at 60mph+ speed). Same for you? When do you push the EV button, just before arriving at the top of a hill?
One of the things I love about the gen 3 is its handling! Its lower to the ground and with the tire pressures just right the steering wheel has a lightness about it that enables me to place the car exactly where I want it, to power through a curve or avoid a bump or hole in the road. This allows me to play race car driver or mpg champion depending on mood, traffic, weather or what ever. ...:)

Thank you for your question above. Here's an excerpt from my posting to the "Tips for Driving Hills" thread. It refers to a 6% grade on a 2 lane highway, but the approach detailed, I use to one degree or another, on all big hills.
".....I have a similar challenge on the two lane highway driving back from Eugene. About a mile before the bottom of the hill I push Sport mode (to build up state of charge (SOC)). I hit the curves just prior to the hill hard (ie fast), so I can begin the ascent at 65 mph or so (speed limit 55). About half way up the hill I push Sport off, to lower rpm and allow SOC to begin to decline. My speed had slowly declined to about 45 mph, but I'm in the slow truck lane, built by ODOT just for the hill, so rarely a traffic issue. As I near the crest I push the white EV button to use the last of the battery charge. Then it is a curvey 3 lane highway downhill to recharge and increase speed, followed by close to 2 miles of EV at 60 mph over small hills before battery depletion."

·
Registered
331 Posts
Head winds have always been a mpg killer for me. Here on the Or. coast steady North or South wind up to about 30 mph is routine on summer afternoons. Ya get a clear mpg benefit with a tail wind. But following a large SUV or bigger vehicle into a strong head wind, can block the wind, to the point of mpg same as if no wind!! This with normal following distance, no need for bumper to bumper NASCAR-like drafting. :) ......FYI

1 - 17 of 17 Posts