Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2019 OWP Insight EX, 2021 PWP Insight EX
1,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I use -35F Rain-X fluid. We all gotta die sometime. :)

·
Registered
836 Posts
I can't believe we are still on the factory fluid from when we bought the car, just not nearly as much snow so far this winter other than an isolated incident. I can attest that the factory fluid wasn't frozen @ 9*F ambient temperature, so that's a plus.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Honda Insight EX
2,904 Posts
I use -35F Rain-X fluid. We all gotta die sometime. :)
Can it really get that cold in NJ? I don't think I have experienced temps below -20F in Boston but then again it could've been so cold I forgot. :p

·
Registered
836 Posts
Can it really get that cold in NJ? I don't think I have experienced temps below -20F in Boston but then again it could've been so cold I forgot. :p
The issue generally isn't pure ambient temperature. Have to imagine the wind chill at -10 at 65mph is pretty cold. I've had -35 fluid freeze in -17 temps while driving through Keene Valley, even though the engine was running. (One of those days where if I turned on cabin heat, I could watch coolant temps drop) (Not in the Insight, haven't been to Lake Placid with Cornelius yet).

·
Registered
2019 Touring Crystal Black Pearl / Mocha
346 Posts
The issue generally isn't pure ambient temperature. Have to imagine the wind chill at -10 at 65mph is pretty cold. I've had -35 fluid freeze in -17 temps while driving through Keene Valley, even though the engine was running. (One of those days where if I turned on cabin heat, I could watch coolant temps drop) (Not in the Insight, haven't been to Lake Placid with Cornelius yet).
Wind chill does not impact inanimate objects ;-) It can cool them down faster but never bring them under the actual air temperature.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Wind chill does not impact inanimate objects ;-) It can cool them down faster but never bring them under the actual air temperature.
You know what, I like you.

Could wind affect a secondary action such as evaporation, or any endothermic reaction? I know wind can cool things faster than standing air.

·
Administrator
4,697 Posts
Could wind affect a secondary action such as evaporation, or any endothermic reaction? I know wind can cool things faster than standing air.
Volume (atomization) has more effect, like when the windshield fluid is in mist/drops rather than a collective puddle in the reservoir. The smaller volume/area will tend to freeze faster within the same temperature condition.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Honda Insight EX
2,904 Posts
Thinking of having a white vinegar spray handy... (sad)
Just a reminder that it's okay to use a spray bottle with vinegar but Honda recommends not putting it in the windshield washer fluid reservoir.
Do not use engine antifreeze or a vinegar/water solution in the windshield washer reservoir. Antifreeze can damage your vehicle’s paint. A vinegar/water solution can damage the windshield washer pump.

·
Super Moderator
1,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just a reminder that it's okay to use a spray bottle with vinegar but Honda recommends not putting it in the windshield washer fluid reservoir.
I use vinegar/water in a spray bottle to remove water spots from the windows. Works great. Yes, it will totally destroy the washer fluid system if put in the reservoir though.

·
Registered
836 Posts
I use vinegar/water in a spray bottle to remove water spots from the windows. Works great. Yes, it will totally destroy the washer fluid system if put in the reservoir though.
Vinegar is amazing, just be careful to keep vinegar away from rubber, and wax. It'll cause premature failure in rubber, and will eat through wax quickly. There are people on both sides of the fence about vinegar pitting glass (I'd suspect it's due to vinegar interacting with windshield washer fluid). It only has a slight advantage over water in terms of freezing temperature (28*F).

Other common things it'll help with, hard water spots, and bird droppings. Although I'd personally only use it in early stages of detailing, immediately followed by a thorough rinse.

·
Registered
346 Posts
I have been using 99% isopropyl alcohol with water and castille soap in a spray. Works great. Once a week is sufficient to keep the windshield decent. Very little change of VOC inside the cabin.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Hey guys, I came up with the 'greenest' windshield wiper fluid that one can make. In a gallon bottle, mix:
The Propylene glycol I bought is food grade so it does not get much safer than that (OK don't drink it 🤓). It still does have some VOC but much less than commercial windshield wiper fluids.

I tested it on my freezer, so far it's down to 11°F and still in liquid phase. Can go lower if needed, see chart https://www.walmart.com/ip/1-Gallon...tally-Antifreeze-for-Automotive-Use/313785740.

I used it on my windshield yesterday. While the result is not as clean of a regular fluid (it's a bit oily and have a few white white marks where the blade doesn't go), it does an OK job.

Also for the summer months, probably fine without the glycol 😅

·
Super Moderator
2019 Honda Insight EX
2,904 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
I use the cheap washer fluid I pick up in the grocery store--like $2.29 a gallon or so. Works fine, but haven't had any real cold snaps in Colorado this year.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Ugh:

(read the 1 star reviews)

tl;dr: it coats and ruins fluid level sensors.

Unfortunately I already bought it (but didn't put it in yet).

Do we care? We don't have a sensor right?

·
Super Moderator
1,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ugh:

(read the 1 star reviews)

tl;dr: it coats and ruins fluid level sensors.

Unfortunately I already bought it (but didn't put it in yet).

Do we care? We don't have a sensor right?
I've been running the Rain-X purple stuff for two years with zero issues.

·
Administrator
4,697 Posts
I have been running the orange Rain-X in my truck for a decade now. It has a level sensor. Never had an issue. Meh.
Does your truck have an electronic sensor or float sensor? The cross-forum discussion mentioned electronic sensors seemed more prone to coating/failure from the orange Rain-X... but also mentioned that some people with electronic sensors had no issue at all.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts