Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picking up my Cosmic Blue EX in 2 weeks. I'm interested in tinting the windows but know nothing about it. What is the process? What are the laws (PA), can I choose how dark and what is normal? Which windows?

·
Super Moderator
1,068 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Most reputable shops will be able to show you the limit in their store. I highly recommend springing for the high end stuff, it makes a massive difference vs the more cosmetic lower end films.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Any shop will put on anything you ask them to, off the books.

But don't do 5% all around, it's dreadful at night.

I have 35% front(max legal limit for KS) and 50% the rest. It makes a huge difference in temperate locations.

Attachments

·
Registered
455 Posts
I’m new to aftermarket window tinting. Do they take into account that the factory windows are already tinted when figuring out how much additional tint to add and still be legal?

·
Super Moderator
3,327 Posts
I’m new to aftermarket window tinting. Do they take into account that the factory windows are already tinted when figuring out how much additional tint to add and still be legal?
To start with some definitions... the tint percentage represents the amount of visible light transmission (VLT) through the windows.
- The lower the percentage, the darker the window film will be (e.g. 35% tint = 35% of visible light passing through)
- The 70% factory tint is very light as it lets through 70% of visible light.
- Factory window tint is a pigment within the glass, so factory tint doesn't interfere with the application of tint film.

To calculate the end/expected VLT % result after tint film is applied, you'd multiply the starting factory tint % by the film tint %. So applying a 35% film to factory glass with 70% existing tint would have a combined final VLT of 24.5% (0.35 x 0.70).

This site has an interesting "slider bar" and exterior picture, which shows a sample exterior/interior effect of tint %, as well as an estimated nighttime/daytime view of the road at different tint % - https://www.tinting-laws.com/tint-darkness-example/

I've read that installers can tell within ~5% what the VLT is by sight (because they do/see it everyday), but it wouldn't hurt to tell your installer in advance that the Insight's factory tint is 70%... or do the math yourself to compare against your state standards.

Law enforcement officials might use a "tint meter" device to get a more precise VLT reading. It uses a laser to measure the light transmission of the window/film.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Since our cars are very civic-like, I spent quite some time on the civicx tint forum https://www.civicx.com/threads/post-your-tinted-windows.1851/ They have tons of examples and it is a good place to see how tint will look on your car (our cars look very similar from side-view).

While reading through this and the civic forum, I found out that the 70% factory tint listed on our window is only a minimum and that we may have a higher VLT (maybe between 74% and 80%). This means that you could get away with installing a lower VLT tint to meet your state standards as opposed to using something like 50% (too light). When I went to my local shop, I just asked for legal and they figured out what tint to use (they have meters and I think they ended up using 40% to get me close to legal limit of 35%).

·
Registered
15 Posts
With my experience with tinting my EX, no they don't take into account what the factory window tint is. Tint companies are not liable for if you get pulled over for violating your state's laws since you chose what % tint for your car. Understand, factory tint is not removable and is within the glass.

Unless you tell them specifically that you want your car to be within legal limits, they "should" tell you what film should abide by legal standards and should be able to take into account your car's factory tint(do your research).

I have 25% tint all around besides my sunstrip and windshield. This is not within legal limits in California and I haven't been pulled over yet, but knock on wood. Police will typically not pull you over unless your windows are extremely dark. I wouldn't worry too much if I were you.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I had 25% all around because I was concerned about night visibility. My previous Civic had 5% in the rear and I bumped something reversing at night. I had them put on another 25% over the rear and back windows to have more privacy in the rear.(so valuables could not be seen in the back seat or changing at the beach, etc.) I found that it didn't matter because the backup Cam takes care of the problem.

·
Super Moderator
2,347 Posts
How Tints Too Dark Can Hinder Police or Rescue Operations
In the unfortunate event that you are in a car accident, rescue and medical personnel rely on looking into your vehicle to assess your condition. But if your windows are too dark, they may not be able to see inside. Rescue workers determine how to move you based on your impairments and whether you have head trauma, minor cuts and bruises or broken bones.

The police can also get caught off-guard when hunting for a suspect if they come across your vehicle. If they can’t see through the dark tints and your vehicle matches the description they are after, police authorities may check your ID and ask questions. While tints help keep your windows from shattering during an accident or impact, a too-dark tint can sometimes put lives in jeopardy or cause inconvenience.

Drawing Attention to Your Car: The Opposite of What You Want
While specific levels of tint provide protection and privacy from people seeing you and peering inside your car, extremely dark tints can actually attract more onlookers. Your vehicle’s tints may draw more attention to curious bystanders or law enforcement. When you tint more than the usual level, the film becomes the opposite of what you want. Even thieves may be more likely to check out your car because it seems like it’s hiding more valuables.

Knowing you can’t see something makes you more curious, right? Keep that in mind when determining the right level of tint for your car.
https://www.rvinyl.com/pros-and-cons-of-dark-tint
^I found the above article informative when I was deciding on if I should tint my car and how dark of a tint.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I had 25% all around because I was concerned about night visibility. My previous Civic had 5% in the rear and I bumped something reversing at night. I had them put on another 25% over the rear and back windows to have more privacy in the rear.(so valuables could not be seen in the back seat or changing at the beach, etc.) I found that it didn't matter because the backup Cam takes care of the problem.
Here is a pic of how it came out.

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
Light Distortions from Tint

Hi everyone,

Just got a white Touring model this past weekend and joined the Insight family. Super happy with my choice and loving the car so far! To protect the leather seats and keep the car cool, I got the 4 side windows and rear window tinted two days ago with 3M Color Stable 35%, which is the legal limit in California. This is my first time getting a tint, so I was really excited. However, when I'm driving at night, I noticed that if I look out the back through my rear-view mirror, there is a lot of light distortions. From the headlights of the car behind me, I can see a lot of vertical lines. After doing a google search, people say it's due to the defroster bars on the back window. Lot of people say it'll go away once the film cures/dry. Did any of you see experience the same thing when you first got your tint? Does it really go away?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts