Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not a post about electronic windshields but something I’m left wondering about... This is the first brand new car I’ve ever owned. I have almost 10,000 miles on her and I love this car - however I’m starting to think the windshield is made out of the cheapest materials they could afford to bump up the thickness. I have more microchips in my windshield than ive ever had on even my 2003 Pontiac Grand Prix GT.

Has anyone at all noticed this??

·
Super Moderator
2,347 Posts
I have 2 small chips on the passenger side of the windshield from small flying rocks while driving on the highway so far.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I do not have any chips. I do however have two very thin scratches that from the best I can tell came from the windshield wipers just doing their thing.

I asked my dealer about it. I noticed it around a month after getting the car, and frankly they could have been there from day 1 because they're very thin and look like wipe marks. My dealer said no one would cover it.

So I have a brand new car with two very thin arcing scratches.

·
Registered
455 Posts
If those are very fine scratches, not so deep you can feel them with your fingernail, you may be able to buff them out. I’ve had success using Brasso metal polish. The windshield factory I worked for would regularly buff out light scratches in glass, but I’m not sure what product they used.

·
Super Moderator
2,347 Posts
I do not have any chips. I do however have two very thin scratches that from the best I can tell came from the windshield wipers just doing their thing.

I asked my dealer about it. I noticed it around a month after getting the car, and frankly they could have been there from day 1 because they're very thin and look like wipe marks. My dealer said no one would cover it.

So I have a brand new car with two very thin arcing scratches.
I heard you can use a detailing clay bar to remove contaminants from the glass.

·
Registered
22 Posts
If those are very fine scratches, not so deep you can feel them with your fingernail, you may be able to buff them out. I’ve had success using Brasso metal polish. The windshield factory I worked for would regularly buff out light scratches in glass, but I’m not sure what product they used.
My neighbor worked at safelite for several years. I am going to ask him what he recommends. Its really not even noticeable until the light hits it, but then it has an almost prism effect where it shines bright through it.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I'm now more concerned about the windshield...just had a huge rock hit my windshield tonight and cause a minor little speck in the windshield. Too small to splinter but just enough to know its there. Ugh...

·
Super Moderator
2,347 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
I'm now more concerned about the windshield...just had a huge rock hit my windshield tonight and cause a minor little speck in the windshield. Too small to splinter but just enough to know its there. Ugh...
Where is the chip on the windshield? As long as it's far away from the HondaSense technology, it should be easy to fill up yourself or have someone else do it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts