Gen 3 Insight Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
The repair technician used Honda glass. He said that he had experience with other late model Honda's such as Civic and Accord. He has never had a problem, but is required to warn customers that a recalibration may be necessary by the dealer. The new windshield has the brackets for the camera integrated onto the windshield from the factory. It is a snap off, unplug and reverse install. The install went without a problem, and a road trip utilizing the electronics was faultless.
Sooooo.... Basically if you use the Honda glass there is no calibration required since the electronics snap in. My windshield broke 2 weeks ago but haven't fixed it.

Dealer quoted $300 to calibrate, which could be totally BS since electronics snap in.

·
Registered
223 Posts
So the windshield on the 4 month old Insight is cracked by a rock and not repairable.

This report https://www.gen3insight.com/forum/#/topics/110?page=2 says that the OEM glass has the bracket for the sensors already integrated into the glass from the factory and the electronics just snap right in. So I'm thinking then there is no need to calibrate saving the $295 to calibrate quoted by the dealership.

Has anybody had their Insight windshield replaced with an aftermarket piece? Was it made by FuYao? Did it have the bracket for the sensor electronics?

Right now I'm leaning towards an OEM replacement with a local installer. It's a $200 or $300 more than getting an aftermarket glass, but if the electronics bracket is already on the glass and no calibration is needed, then I'd rather have a factory glass.

However... If the Aftermarket is a FuYao (FuYao makes the OEM glass) and has the bracket, then the aftermarket is a way better deal cause it's much cheaper.

The Insight is soooo new I've yet to find any installer or dealer that has actually done it.. so no one really has the full details.

Attachments

·
Registered
223 Posts
I assume you don't have glass coverage on your auto insurance? Have you try contacting a nearby Honda certified body shop? They can probably provide you the answer on whether they can calibrate the safety sense systems with an aftermarket glass since they're factory trained on all models. My local Honda certified body shop always advise me to use oem parts especially during the factory warranty period. It prevents the manufacture from denying future warranty claims from potential issues caused by an aftermarket part.
I went to 2 dealers and neither one wants to quote me the full job. Glass labor comes from a 3rd party I pay separately, glass ordered from the parts counter separately, and then go into the Service Dept for the calibration, it's a complete mess with 3 different transactions.

Given that mess I will try a Honda certified body shop quote next. Thank you.

Insurance will pay but with a $1000 deductable it's not worth the claim on a $1300 job. State Farm has also said they will only pay the claim for aftermarket glass amount. Extra cost for OEM is on me.

I often try to buy non Honda labeled parts from the OEM manufacturer. For instance, I just replaced the wheel bearing on my 13 Accord. NTN makes the bearing for Honda.. so I tried to source the NTN part without nthe Honda label.

I was just seeing if FuYao, the OEM manufacturer sells same glass. l without the Honda label with the bracket. If the aftermarket isn't a FuYao, then I wouldn't buy it and just go with the OEM glass.

·
Registered
223 Posts
So far no issues with air or water leaks, including a touchless auto wash.

Speed limit recognition, lane departure and autobrake seem to be working fine.

Rain sensing wipers work, which is to say they are still always too sensitive and end up being too fast or slow.
In summary. You had OEM glass and mouldings installed. No calibration and everything works!

Glad that you didn't have to get a calibration done saving $$$. Dealer and Safelite want to sell calibrations but other shops have said it's not necessary unless something doesn't work right since they never touch the sensors.

I've still yet to replace the windshield on mines. It seems you went the exact same route I was planning and got quoted from a local guy.

·
Registered
223 Posts
After a year, we replaced the windshield yesterday. $549 with tax. No calibration. The replacement glass was a FuYao just like the OEM.

I drove it around today. Lane keeping and lane departure still worked. The one thing I question is why there is a break in the seal/moulding near the top corners? I'm not sure if the OEM install had the break.

Here are some pics.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.