Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Speaking of Windshield, has anyone notice the right facing black arrow at about the 11 o'clock position on the driver's side and a left facing arrow on the passenger's side at about 2 o'clock? What the heck is that arrow for and can I take a razor edge and remove it?

·
Super Moderator
3,328 Posts
Speaking of Windshield, has anyone notice the right facing black arrow at about the 11 o'clock position on the driver's side and a left facing arrow on the passenger's side at about 2 o'clock? What the heck is that arrow for and can I take a razor edge and remove it?
This article on "Honda's windshield triangles" mentions they're a 'safety feature technology' added to Hondas starting in 2011.

"The triangles, about a quarter-inch tall, are about halfway up on the far right and left of the windshield, right above the driver’s line of sight and pointing toward the center. [...] Markings on the windshield subconsciously direct drivers to keep their eyes on the road. [...] When the triangles were placed on the windshield, drivers’ eyes went side to side more than up and down, which allowed for more precision when turning. The feature helped drivers maintain stability, even in the tightest turns."

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Super Moderator
3,328 Posts
My-OH-My, Honda, subliminal behavioral cues to help the Driver?? WOW.....!! I don't even know what to say here but @insightfully, that's incredible. Love those darn forward-thinking Engineers, however, I'm very detail-oriented and I notice them every time!
I think these only appear on Honda OEM glass, so if you ever have need to replace your windshield and use non OEM glass (or remove with razor?) the left/right triangles should disappear. :)

·
Registered
455 Posts
I think these only appear on Honda OEM glass, so if you ever have need to replace your windshield and use non OEM glass (or remove with razor?) the left/right triangles should disappear. :)
Maybe not. When I was working in auto glass manufacturing we made ever effort to replicate aftermarket glass as close to the original as possible.

·
Super Moderator
3,328 Posts
Double-checked on my older Civic with non-OEM replacement windshield to confirm that mine no longer has the 'single triangles' on the driver and passenger side. The black dots (frits) which serve other purpose are present, but that pattern seems to vary by glass manufacturer. I didn't see that Honda followed through on the patent intent for the triangles, so perhaps the triangles can still be added by aftermarket vendors who want to, without conflict with Honda.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts