Gen 3 Insight Forum banner
21 - 40 of 143 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Honda Insight Touring
726 Posts
If you can find a good deal from a junk yard on old rims for the snow tires then going for additional rims is a great idea. I did this for the Subaru and it saved time, money , and tires can only be changed so many times before the beads won't hold air anymore.

·
Super Moderator
2019 OWP Insight EX, 2021 PWP Insight EX
1,561 Posts
If you can find a good deal from a junk yard on old rims for the snow tires then going for additional rims is a great idea. I did this for the Subaru and it saved time, money , and tires can only be changed so many times before the beads won't hold air anymore.
Duh! I never considered junkyard rims! I got my spare from a wrecking yard. I should have known this! '16-'18 Civic rims fit the Insight! My wife has an '18 Civic, and the tire size is identical to my Insight. I think I need to make a few calls!

·
Registered
64 Posts
good wheel and tire shops are often wiling to give you insight on what options are out there and you would be surprised by how quick aftermarket companies are quick to supply new vehicles

·
Registered
70 Posts
I don't know what fitment will be like but you could also try and see what other OEM rims from another Honda model may fit here. Could save yourself a lot of money buying a used set privately.

·
Registered
25 Posts
You can get a set of top-quality snow tires mounted and balanced on black 16" steel wheels, delivered to your home or to a shop where they can be mounted for about $935 at TireRack.com, including tax. That's the price I came up with for Michelin X-Ice tires, which is my preferred type. You can get alloy wheels if you want to spend extra money, but they are more likely to become warped on winter roads. The one thing I don't know about, as I do not yet own an Insight, is whether you will need a special valve stem. My 2012 Civic requires a TPMS stem, but I think that they have (thankfully) been eliminated.

·
Registered
454 Posts
You can get a set of top-quality snow tires mounted and balanced on black 16" steel wheels, delivered to your home or to a shop where they can be mounted for about $935 at TireRack.com, including tax. That's the price I came up with for Michelin X-Ice tires, which is my preferred type. You can get alloy wheels if you want to spend extra money, but they are more likely to become warped on winter roads. The one thing I don't know about, as I do not yet own an Insight, is whether you will need a special valve stem. My 2012 Civic requires a TPMS stem, but I think that they have (thankfully) been eliminated.
No TPMS on the parts list. It has the valve listed for you. Looks pretty standard to me.
2019 Insight Tourin CVT | Tire - Wheel Disk

·
Super Moderator
2019 OWP Insight EX, 2021 PWP Insight EX
1,561 Posts
New Insight uses passive TPMS which looks for wheel rotational speed differences. There is no special valve stem required.

Reactions: ddemetra

·
Registered
94 Posts
Winter Tires and TPMS

Planning on getting a separate set of rims and winter tires, but concerned about what happens if I don't install TPMS monitors. On other cars it simply means living with a light on the dash. Anyone know if it is the same with the Insight, or have any other suggestions?

·
Registered
94 Posts
I always get a second set of rims and winter tires, cheaper in the long run, change over myself so don't get hung up waiting for a garage to find time. Often downsize for better snow performance: will get 15" rims/tires for the Insight. Tire rack has a package right now with decent looking alloy rims and Michelins for $741, mounted, balanced and shipped.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Just read elsewhere the Insight system is a passive, software one, so should be no problem with snows on separate rims.

Planning on getting a separate set of rims and winter tires, but concerned about what happens if I don't install TPMS monitors. On other cars it simply means living with a light on the dash. Anyone know if it is the same with the Insight, or have any other suggestions?

·
Registered
70 Posts
All TPMS systems are good for in the winter is going on the fritz anyways lol. They really don't handle the colder weather all that well and wont be giving accurate readouts in the first place.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Wheel Specs

Hi all,

I test drove an Insight Touring last week and totally loved it. I have a 2013 Civic Si but will be moving to a city where driving a stick is miserable and the spread from 87 to 91/93 octane is averaging $1.20/gal. So hybrid life is definitely in my future!

I run HFP 17" wheels for summer with 16" 9th gen EX alloys for my winter set and would love to be able to use these on the Insight with new tires. I can't find ANY info on the 16" LX and EX wheels except that they're 16x7 with 5x114.3". I'd assume similar to the 2018/19 Civic specs with 64.1mm center bore. Anybody know the offset and backspacing?

Any luck installing 16" Civic wheels on the Insight? These are mine attached. Thanks!

Jake

Attachments

·
Administrator
4,838 Posts
Adding to the snow tire discussion, was wondering if there are "best practice" recommendations from forum on drive settings for the Insight in snow? I'm used to selecting lowest possible gear, and the CVT is throwing me off.

Do any of the following make sense to simulate "lowest possible gear" and best low-speed traction in snow/ice conditions?
1 - ECO mode
2 - ECO mode with max regen
3 - Other combination -?

...OR is it best to just drive the Insight "as normal" and let the car's safety features like Vehicle Stability Assist (VSA) system manage traction?

·
Registered
366 Posts
Adding to the snow tire discussion, was wondering if there are "best practice" recommendations from forum on drive settings for the Insight in snow? I'm used to selecting lowest possible gear, and the CVT is throwing me off.

Do any of the following make sense to simulate "lowest possible gear" and best low-speed traction in snow/ice conditions?
1 - ECO mode
2 - ECO mode with max regen
3 - Other combination -?

...OR is it best to just drive the Insight "as normal" and let the car's safety features like Vehicle Stability Assist (VSA) system manage traction?
Its been awhile since I drove in snow. In the past I used a very gentle touch on the gas pedal, sometimes even a higher gear (with a manual transmission). My objective was to put minimal torque on the drive wheels yet enough to move the car, to discourage the wheels from spinning / losing grip on a slippery surface.

Pushing the Econ button increases gas pedal travel, thus increasing gas pedal sensitivity, thus allowing you to imagine a feel for how much purchase, grip, or traction is available for the drive wheels. Continuing with max regen seems like a good idea as well, unless the roads are so slick that sliding occurs when regen starts.

·
Registered
52 Posts
We got about 6" of snow on Sunday/Monday (not common where I live) - and I've been driving my Touring on Blizzak WS80s. I've been driving for the past couple of days on snow and snow/ice under the Normal mode. I like driving Normal rather than Eco in the snow/ice, but I'm more careful with the throttle. If I didn't have studless snow tires, I'd probably be staying home because of the hills and ice, and might be inclined to drive in ECO to avoid the tire spin on ice.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Honda Insight EX
2,999 Posts
Nokian offers All-Weather tires that is approved for winter use. I'm not sure how well it does but heard good things about it from Tesla owners.
https://www.nokiantires.com/all-weather-tires/nokian-wr-g4/

I have never used snow tires living in Boston and no winter accidents the past 10 years either.

• The snow plows do a good job where I travel
  • I practice defensive driving in the snow
  • I leave plenty of room when following other cars
  • I try not to drive above 30mph depending on conditions
  • Avoid hills when possible
  • Make sure tires are properly inflated weekly

Once the Michelins are due for replacement or I change my mind about needing snow tires... I will most likely replace them with Nokian All-Weather tires. Don't have space in my apartment to store the all season or winter tires.

21 - 40 of 143 Posts