Gen 3 Insight Forum banner
101 - 120 of 155 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2019 Honda Insight EX
3,273 Posts
What is "Green X" mean on the X-ice v3 winter tire mean?

Looks sounds like a duck (cough cough gimmick)...lolol
The Green X logo is Michelin's guarantee that a tire provides a level of energy efficiency among the highest in the market for its category without compromising other key characteristics, such as traction and tread wear.
It could be nonsense but I think you might get better fuel economy than the stock Touring Conti tires. The stock Michelin Energy Saver tires on the LX/EX is marketed as Green X, too.

·
Registered
836 Posts

Green X®
The Michelin® Green X® label guarantees a level of energy efficiency among the highest in the market and reduced CO2 emission while maintaining all the legendary Michelin advantages of long wear, safety, and other performances.

From the Michelin website

·
Registered
119 Posts

Actually not a gimmick.
Consumer reports found the snow/ice performance tops in their tests.
And it has the low rolling resistance designation.
Of all the winter tires they tested, it was the only tire to qualify for low rolling resistance, which is impressive.

·
Registered
836 Posts

·
Registered
836 Posts
Overall, I have positive experience. But at a very slippery hill, when the ABS light keep flashing, only electric motor was working. And it moved very slow. A little bit scary at that point.
We just got our first snow today as well. I didn't have any hills on my commute, but what you described is torque limiting traction control. In a pinch, if you needed to spin the tires you should be able to hit the traction control button to disable it temporarily.

·
Premium Member
4,838 Posts
Overall, I have positive experience. But at a very slippery hill, when the ABS light keep flashing, only electric motor was working. And it moved very slow. A little bit scary at that point.
Did you see just the ABS indicator (round circle) or did you also get a message on Brake Performance being reduced? And when only the electric motor was working, was that due to traveling at low speed (low throttle)? Or was there message that indicated gas engine wasn't available?

Attached is the page on deactivating traction control (aka Vehicle Stability Assist or Electronic Stability Control), for quick reference. It turns on at the start of ever drive, even if turned off on prior drive:

·
Registered
9 Posts
We just got our first snow today as well. I didn't have any hills on my commute, but what you described is torque limiting traction control. In a pinch, if you needed to spin the tires you should be able to hit the traction control button to disable it temporarily.
Thanks I will try next time.

·
Registered
9 Posts
What kind of tires do you have on your Insight?
It's winter tire. The brand should be General, I think. Will take a picture tomorrow.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Did you see just the ABS indicator (round circle) or did you also get a message on Brake Performance being reduced?
- It was the ABS indicator keep flashing.

And when only the electric motor was working, was that due to traveling at low speed (low throttle)? Or was there message that indicated gas engine wasn't available?
- I forgot how hard I pushed the pedal, I think at least 1/3 to half way. No message just the EV in the display.

And thanks for the screenshot.

·
Registered
2019 EX White Pearl Orchid
87 Posts
After driving through yesterday's snowstorm here in Wisconsin... resistance is futile !! 36mpg
On the bright note the Michelin ICE-X 3's performed very well, passed many cars in the ditches, and many driving 30 in a 55-65. Slushy wet snow and didn't get much pull from them... kept good traction.

·
Registered
239 Posts
After driving through yesterday's snowstorm here in Wisconsin... resistance is futile !! 36mpg
On the bright note the Michelin ICE-X 3's performed very well, passed many cars in the ditches, and many driving 30 in a 55-65. Slushy wet snow and didn't get much pull from them... kept good traction.
How many miles do you have on you're Michelin X-ice v3 Snow Tires?

When are they not snow tires anymore? After 20k miles?

·
Registered
836 Posts
How many miles do you have on you're Michelin X-ice v3 Snow Tires?

When are they not snow tires anymore? After 20k miles?
Generally I retire a set of snow tires under 2 conditions:

1) 6/32" tread left (or whatever is half of new). Tread depth is important for deeper snow.
2) Noticeably worse performance than I'm used to with the set.

By retire I either drive them into summer down to "bald", or sell them at like $25 a piece in the spring, knowing people need tread depth to pass inspection.

101 - 120 of 155 Posts