Gen 3 Insight Forum banner
121 - 140 of 155 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Dredging this up as I may need to invest in a set of snow tires for the Insight (I travel semi-regularly across the Cascades for work).

I've always been a Bridgestone Blizzak guy (for studless snow tires they are as good as it gets for snow traction, IMO). However, the rolling resistance sucks. Out Outback averages 32-33 mpg in the summer with the stock tires on it... when I put the Blizzaks on, it drops to 28-29. I am eying the Michelin X-ice now... has anyone actually run a set on their Insight yet?

·
Premium Member
4,838 Posts
I've always been a Bridgestone Blizzak guy (for studless snow tires they are as good as it gets for snow traction, IMO). However, the rolling resistance sucks. Out Outback averages 32-33 mpg in the summer with the stock tires on it... when I put the Blizzaks on, it drops to 28-29. I am eying the Michelin X-ice now... has anyone actually run a set on their Insight yet?
Check out posts 71 thru 105 earlier in thread for discussion of X-Ice in use. :)

·
Super Moderator
2019 Honda Insight EX
3,273 Posts
X-Ice is a low rolling resistance snow tire according to Michelin. They also offer a snow tire that can be use in all seasons called the CrossClimate+.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Dredging this up as I may need to invest in a set of snow tires for the Insight (I travel semi-regularly across the Cascades for work).

If fuel efficiency is your goal with winter performance, I don't think you can beat the X-Ice low rolling resistance.
  • Minus size/narrower the tire to improve performance, save money, and fuel efficiency
  • Light weight winter alloy rim
  • Low rolling resistance

Both my Honda's run this configuration

·
Registered
2019 EX White Pearl Orchid
87 Posts
Ran over to MPLS yesterday and picked these up... The rims I posted previously had a 60 day wait so I went with this...

Michelin X-Ice Xi3
MICHELIN
X-ICE XI3
Studless Ice & Snow
Size: 205/65R15
Eco Focus: Green X
Load Range: XL
Serv. Desc: 99T
UTQG: None
Qty:per Tire: 4
$110.14
Availability: In Stock
Set of 4: $440.56

MOTEGI RACING MR116
MOTEGI RACING
MR116
FRONT AND REAR:
Size: 15x6.5 (-1 Diameter)
Finish: Black w/Red Stripe
Weight: 16.4 lbs.
Offset: 40mm
Qty:per Wheel: 4
$116.34
Free ShippingView on VehicleSet of 4: $465.36

Will update after winter as to how they performed...

-------------------------------------

For those interested in winter tires Tire Rack has the following on sale...
Bridgestone Blizzak WS80
BRIDGESTONE
BLIZZAK WS80
Studless Ice & Snow
Size: 205/65R15
Serv. Desc: 94T
UTQG: None
Qty:per Tire: 4
$130.92$87.40Special/Closeout
Availability: In Stock
Can be delivered Tue, 10/22 to 54452Free Shipping
Set of 4: $349.6

So I have been running the above for about 7000 miles now!! The tires have performed better than I expected on a front wheel drive vehicle. They have gone through 6 inch snow storms very well. The one larger snow storm 12 inches... that day I drove the wife's outback...

·
Registered
87 Posts
Just took the snows off today!! Every time I was thinking of taking them off the future forecast was for more snow !! And Yes last Sunday... Mothers Day we did get snow !! Put on 20780 miles on the ICE X's very happy with them this winter... up to 6 inches April snowstorm that dumped 10 inches wet and heavy, by the time I was rolling home there was 6 inches down. As long as I kept the momentum going I did not have any problems - It was at its limits as I was plowing through. Kept pumping the gas and tried to keep the speed up, I am sure that if I stopped I may have gotten stuck! Ground Clearance being the enemy... So yes thumbs up for the Michelan's I think I should be able to get 2 -3 more winters out of the snows at the mileage I pound on the Insight.

·
Registered
239 Posts
^
I too put about ~22k miles on my Michelin X-ice Snow tires. Amazing. I never got stuck while everyone was slow.

Am I good to use these snow tires again next winter? I drive a lot. I put about 40k miles on my Insight TOURING trim in one year (142 miles round trip to work Mon-Fri)

😊😬😬

·
Registered
106 Posts
Has anyone used the Continental VikingContact 7s? I know my Insight sports Continental Tires stock and wanted to get some info. Premium tire and lots of positive reviews on other vehicles.

I'm also looking as WS90s and Kumho Wi31 on 16s (downsize for my Touring). I'm in the Canuckistan Prairies and winters with FWD, snow tires are a must.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Honda Insight EX
3,273 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
I finally placed my order for winter tires and rims. I decided to downsize to 16" for my 2020 Touring. I've had amazing success with Quattro Tire in Canada (3rd set of tires I've ordered) and got a solid discount on top of the $60 cash card. I went with hubcentric steel wheels and Kumho WINTERCRAFT ICE Wi31 tires. They'll ship balanced and ready to install

·
Registered
2019 Honda Insight Touring
751 Posts
I finally placed my order for winter tires and rims. I decided to downsize to 16" for my 2020 Touring. I've had amazing success with Quattro Tire in Canada (3rd set of tires I've ordered) and got a solid discount on top of the $60 cash card. I went with hubcentric steel wheels and Kumho WINTERCRAFT ICE Wi31 tires. They'll ship balanced and ready to install
View attachment 5843
I was going to ask a stupid question but then I re-read your post. So...nevermind.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I went with the Bridgestone WS90 and also hubcentric rims. Got the rims from Costco and the tires at a local shop. I had them install the rims to the tires and balance them. I brought them home and installed them myself.

·
Registered
2019 Honda Insight Touring
751 Posts
I bought both the rims and tires together as a package deal ($80 off coupon code) so they offer the mount and balance free of charge
I changed the post and it still sent out the original one. I can't figure out computers anymore. 😕

·
Registered
2019 Touring Crystal Black Pearl / Mocha
450 Posts
Just took it out in 2in of unplowed snow to remind me how bad it is on stock tires (Conti). Well, it's not awful but it isn't great. It actually gets traction even on an incline but turning or braking feels unsafe. Hard to justify spending 1k on snow wheels when I'm not even driving to work though :( I have a pair of chains in my trunk ICE.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Michelin X-Ice have been taken off a couple weeks ago, have 40,000 miles on the tires and they are holding up well. Definitely will get another winter out of them.... two winters so far...

121 - 140 of 155 Posts