Gen 3 Insight Forum banner
141 - 155 of 155 Posts

·
Registered
2019 EX White Pearl Orchid
87 Posts
There is about a 3 mpg difference.... weather is the larger influencer.. ie -20 degrees dropped my winter mileage to about 38 mpg vs normal winter weather of about 43... with the summer tires on and my usual summertime commute I am getting about 48 mpg.

·
Registered
2021 Honda Insight EX - Platinum White Pearl
82 Posts
N00b questions:
Both 215/55R16 and 205/60R16 go on the same rime size 16x7?
What about the offset 38 or 45mm? What is it and which one to chose?
The recommended tire size for the Insight EX is 215/55R16. 205/60R16 is narrower in width and has taller sidewalls which will affect the speedometer and handling of the vehicle somewhat. Some people prefer to run narrower wheels with a larger sidewall in winter to improve handling in deep snow and reduce damage from potholes. The first number is the tire width in mm, the second number is the aspect ratio (sidewall height vs tire width) in %, and the third number is the rim diameter in inches.

Wheel offset is the distance from its hub mounting surface to the centerline of the wheel. Tire Rack offers wheels with offsets between +35 mm and +48 mm for the Insight so anything within that range should work

·
Registered
2019 Touring Crystal Black Pearl / Mocha
450 Posts
The recommended tire size for the Insight EX is 215/55R16. 205/60R16 is narrower in width and has taller sidewalls which will affect the speedometer and handling of the vehicle somewhat. Some people prefer to run narrower wheels with a larger sidewall in winter to improve handling in deep snow and reduce damage from potholes. The first number is the tire width in mm, the second number is the aspect ratio (sidewall height vs tire width) in %, and the third number is the rim diameter in inches.

Wheel offset is the distance from its hub mounting surface to the centerline of the wheel. Tire Rack offers wheels with offsets between +35 mm and +48 mm for the Insight so anything within that range should work
Thank you. I am looking to go for a Minus One size for tires, which would be 205/60R16. Now I'm seeing wheels with are 16x6.5 and others that are 16x7. I even see 16x7.5.

What are the OEM rim size? How would I know which size is compatible?

(PS: @insightfully are you alright mate?)

·
Registered
2021 Honda Insight EX - Platinum White Pearl
82 Posts
Thank you. I am looking to go for a Minus One size for tires, which would be 205/60R16. Now I'm seeing wheels with are 16x6.5 and others that are 16x7. I even see 16x7.5.

What are the OEM rim size? How would I know which size is compatible?
The OEM wheel for the Touring is 17x7, however, you can chose anything from 16x6.5 to 16x7.5 if you want to minus size your wheels. All will be compatible with a 215/55R16 or 205/60R16 tire.

·
Registered
112 Posts
The bottom line here is that you want to outside diameter of the new minus one winter tires to match up with the outside diameter of the original tires supplied with your car. You can go to any number of online tire retailers and perform the calculations on their web sites to make sure that you get a match. It so happens that the 17 inch tires supplied with the Touring model match up almost perfecty with the 16 inch tires supplied with the LX and EX models. By going with a taller but thinner tire with the correct outside diameter, you should get better road grip in the winter and still avoid confusing the onboard electronics that are expecting the OEM recommended tires sizes.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Thank you. Two more questions about the Honda dealers if anybody knows:
1) Do they typically sell winter tires AND rims?
2) If I bring my own set from tirerack during the inspection, will they swap them for me? for free or for a fee?

·
Registered
450 Posts
Thank you. Two more questions about the Honda dealers if anybody knows:
1) Do they typically sell winter tires AND rims?
2) If I bring my own set from tirerack during the inspection, will they swap them for me? for free or for a fee?
1) They don't sell rims, but you can bring your own.
2) $35, same as rotation

·
Super Moderator
2019 Honda Insight EX
3,273 Posts
Costco finally have the Michelin CrossClimate2 (Insight LX/EX size) in stock again after being sold out for months. I just placed an order and the total w/installation came out to $645.xx which is about $120 more than it was 2 years ago. 😬

Anyone planning on purchasing new tires for Winter should consider before the end of September. Bridgestone and Continental have announced price hikes starting October 1. Goodyear and Toyo already implemented price changes in July and August. Michelin hasn't announce anything yet but they did increase prices twice(March & May) already this year.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Costco finally have the Michelin CrossClimate2 (Insight LX/EX size) in stock again after being sold out for months. I just placed an order and the total w/installation came out to $645.xx which is about $120 more than it was 2 years ago. 😬

Anyone planning on purchasing new tires for Winter should consider before the end of September. Bridgestone and Continental have announced price hikes starting October 1. Goodyear and Toyo already implemented price changes in July and August. Michelin hasn't announce anything yet but they did increase prices twice(March & May) already this year.
Awesome! $645 is without rims right? What/where did you get rims?

·
Registered
450 Posts
I'm going to be using the stock wheels. The CrossClimate 2 tires can be use year round.
Oops yes of course. I wanted to buy them for my wife but as you said they were not available. We got the Goodyear Assurance WeatherReady instead, which are supposed to be equivalent.

Keep us posted this winter! And keep an eye on the mpg also...

141 - 155 of 155 Posts