Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been thru one whole Mid-West winter using wiper blades as I always have. Namely, I run wipers on low speed and turn off power when position is where I want blades to be. Then I lift and service blades and windshield.

What is the "Wiper Maintenance Position" anyway ?

·
Registered
836 Posts
I've been thru one whole Mid-West winter using wiper blades as I always have. Namely, I run wipers on low speed and turn off power when position is where I want blades to be. Then I lift and service blades and windshield.

It basically puts the wipers at their uppermost position. It's supposed to keep them from hitting the hood when lifted to service the wiper.

·
Registered
836 Posts
If hood is closed, how can lifted blades hit the hood ? I'm just puzzled
I doubt they could, but apparently Honda engineers thought it was too close for comfort. I haven't actually tried lifting them, so I don't know how close they actually are.

·
Super Moderator
3,328 Posts
Wolverine51 said:
If hood is closed, how can lifted blades hit the hood ? I'm just puzzled
Wifey'sInsight said:
I doubt they could, but apparently Honda engineers thought it was too close for comfort. I haven't actually tried lifting them, so I don't know how close they actually are.
The length of the Insight's driver's wiper blade is pretty long and unwieldy. They haven't contacted the hood for me, but it's been awkward to move the wipers when not in maintenance position. As mentioned in the Car & Driver article, most modern cars are mounting/nesting wipers below the edge of the hood to improve aerodynamics and reduce wind noise.

See below for manual mention on p579 (also mentioned on p597). As mentioned above, Acura forum suggested the steps could be pared down to two steps, without needing to first turn the car off then on again.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts