Gen 3 Insight Forum banner
21 - 40 of 53 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,838 Posts
Has anyone tried the CPLAY2air dongle in an insight? I think wireless carplay would be a cool feature to have if the dongle responds properly. If I know it works, we could then find a way to hide that dongle from the "cell phone pad."
Welcome to the forum. @Johudso7 is the closest to (almost) using CarPlay2Air on an Insight... though now as a former Insight owner (and 2020 Accord Hybrid owner) with usage experience on a 2020 CR-V Hybrid and 2019 Hyundai Ioniq. But the CR-V Hybrid infotainment system is more like that of a GenX Civic, and the Insight's infotainment is more like that of a GenX Accord.

GenX Accord owners report it took a year of waiting on a working firmware update, but 3-4 GenX Accord owner reported success with CarPlay2Air. Among Accord owners who reported issues, infotainment system crash/reboot/freeze is mentioned.

I kind of want to see what gets offered as an OEM (or retrofit) option for the Insight, since the EX-L/Touring 2021 Accord refresh picked up wireless CarPlay as a standard feature.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Honda Insight EX
3,205 Posts
Has anyone tried the CPLAY2air dongle in an insight? I think wireless carplay would be a cool feature to have if the dongle responds properly. If I know it works, we could then find a way to hide that dongle from the "cell phone pad."
Carlinkit is the actual manufacturer of the dongle being used by CPLAY2air. That's the gen 1 dongle while Carlinkit is on gen 2 right now. You can get them on Amazon and try it risk free due to Amazon's return policy.

·
Registered
2021 EX
11 Posts
Carlinkit is the actual manufacturer of the dongle being used by CPLAY2air. That's the gen 1 dongle while Carlinkit is on gen 2 right now. You can get them on Amazon and try it risk free due to Amazon's return policy.
This Carlinkit gen 2 dongle that you linked currently has a $25 off coupon and has free returns. I may snag it and be the Insight (2021 EX) Guinea pig. I will update.

·
Registered
2020 Insight EX Crimson Pearl
149 Posts
I've had the panel out that houses the USB ports. They just unclip from the panel and if you could find a spot behind the dash where you can maybe zip-tie it to something it could be doable. IIRC, there might have been a bit of room behind or to the left of the glove box. The challenge would be to separate it from the other cables bundled with it (circled in green). I think the clip would pull off of the frame, but you'd have to cut it to separate them. So if you're good with the other two cables hanging loose, why not. Then you would just need to find a clean way to plug up the hole where the USB plug used to be.

I kind of want to see what gets offered as an OEM (or retrofit) option for the Insight, since the EX-L/Touring 2021 Accord refresh picked up wireless CarPlay as a standard feature.
I was thinking the same thing. Maybe wait another 6-12 months to see if Honda offers the firmware upgrade. Then if not start looking at other solutions like the one above, maybe paired with a wireless charger I can set on the phone pad.
This Carlinkit gen 2 dongle that you linked currently has a $25 off coupon and has free returns. I may snag it and be the Insight (2021 EX) Guinea pig. I will update.
Please do keep us updated if you do get it. :)

·
Super Moderator
2019 OWP Insight EX, 2021 PWP Insight EX
1,771 Posts
I've had the panel out that houses the USB ports. They just unclip from the panel and if you could find a spot behind the dash where you can maybe zip-tie it to something it could be doable. IIRC, there might have been a bit of room behind or to the left of the glove box. The challenge would be to separate it from the other cables bundled with it (circled in green). I think the clip would pull off of the frame, but you'd have to cut it to separate them. So if you're good with the other two cables hanging loose, why not. Then you would just need to find a clean way to plug up the hole where the USB plug used to be.

View attachment 6378

I was thinking the same thing. Maybe wait another 6-12 months to see if Honda offers the firmware upgrade. Then if not start looking at other solutions like the one above, maybe paired with a wireless charger I can set on the phone pad.

Please do keep us updated if you do get it. :)
Oh boy! Now I want to know if one can plug a USB hub in there and expand the number of ports! Thoughts?

·
Registered
149 Posts
Oh boy! Now I want to know if one can plug a USB hub in there and expand the number of ports! Thoughts?
Before I tackled this I wanted to experiment with seeing if both USB ports work with CarPlay (which they do) and what happens when you plug two iPhones in. Basically if one is plugged in and you plug in a second, it asks if you want to switch. Otherwise you can go to the smartphone connection menu and select which phone you want to connect at any time. This has been talked about already on these forums here: USB/audio - managing two phones, but I didn't see anything about someone trying a hub.

One other thing is that the user manual specifically states NOT to use a hub (bullet point 3):

I'll get into why I think they recommend that in a moment, but wanted to make sure this warning is seen and I don't want to take responsibility for advising anyone that it's okay. Do at your own risk!

Three thoughts here:

1. Power

You'd probably want to get a 12v DC externally powered USB hub. If you plugged a non-powered hub into the existing USB ports and started drawing too much current (like say charging multiple phones) you could risk damaging the infotainment system or overheating wires/components. I believe this is the primary reason why they don't recommend a hub, because most people don't understand that a non-powered hub will draw collective device power from the head unit, which a powered hub will draw all power from the hub itself.

For a powered hub it's easy enough as they make them with cigarette lighter type power connectors. You could always cut off the connector and splice into another 12V power source (ACC) line/fuse.

2. Device Recognition

We know that the system can only use one phone/device at a time if two phones/devices are connected normally through the existing two ports. The question is, if you use a hub will that still apply? Like if you had 3 phones hooked to a hub which in turn is connected to USB port 1, will it act in the same behavior of letting you switch between phones, or will it confuse the head unit? Depends on if the two existing ports are simply connected to an internal hub, or if the head unit's MCU uses two separate UARTS for USB control and the firmware is written accordingly. I suppose if you want to take the risk you can try it, but again I'd highly recommend a powered USB hub. Even a 120V AC one used with an extension cord from your house would work in trying it.

3. Intention

Are you intending to add a hub so you can add more devices, or just to charge phones? If it's just for the latter, you can always just do what I (and Verdier) did and run a powered USB connector somewhere and not risk connecting to the head unit at all.

·
Registered
2021 EX
11 Posts
It came today. One day Amazon delivery. Seems to work just fine. I’ve been on one drive so far. Used waze and Spotify without issues. I made a call and that seemed to work too. Although my wife ignored me and didn’t answer.
I did have to update the dongle when I got it to get it to work. Took 5-10 minutes to update.
Now I just need to figure out a way to hide it. I don’t trust myself enough to start pulling the car apart.

·
Registered
149 Posts
It came today. One day Amazon delivery. Seems to work just fine. I’ve been on one drive so far. Used waze and Spotify without issues. I made a call and that seemed to work too. Although my wife ignored me and didn’t answer.
I did have to update the dongle when I got it to get it to work. Took 5-10 minutes to update.
Now I just need to figure out a way to hide it. I don’t trust myself enough to start pulling the car apart.
Nice to hear that it worked. I may just end up picking myself up one and if Honda does activate wireless CarPlay in a future update I can always sell it.

·
Registered
2021 EX
11 Posts
Update: it’s pretty easy to pop the heating/AC panel off that’s in between the infotainment display and the USB ports. Then simply pop the backside of the USB port off and attach the dongle to the USB port and zip tie it inside. Once I closed it back, it looks clean minus the gap where the top usb used to be. I’m gonna roll with this setup for now. Would take suggestions on a good way to make the hole in that top USB port look cleaner. Also, no issues running wireless CarPlay from my iPhone XR so far. I just leave it in my pocket and have access to all CarPlay features.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Update: it’s pretty easy to pop the heating/AC panel off that’s in between the infotainment display and the USB ports. Then simply pop the backside of the USB port off and attach the dongle to the USB port and zip tie it inside. Once I closed it back, it looks clean minus the gap where the top usb used to be. I’m gonna roll with this setup for now. Would take suggestions on a good way to make the hole in that top USB port look cleaner. Also, no issues running wireless CarPlay from my iPhone XR so far. I just leave it in my pocket and have access to all CarPlay features.

View attachment 6382
Very nice!! Maybe you can take some black construction paper (or something similar with a matte finish) and tape it over the hole from the back side. Then if someone accidentally tries to plug something in the worst case is you have to open it up and fix it. At least it will keep dust out of there. 🤷‍♂️

My idea to take this a step further would be to maybe pick up something like this: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07WV1J8QL/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=A294P4X9EWVXLJ&psc=1

...then grab a short micro USB cable like this: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B013G4EAEI/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A21TE5CLHZDYA7&psc=1

...then set it on the pad and then you can wirelessly charge the phone by just setting it there and still have the CarPlay functionality.

·
Registered
2021 EX
11 Posts
@S.A.M. To confirm, you did get this one, right?

[/URL][/URL]

And from what I read the phone connects to the dongle via WiFi?
Yes that’s the one I got. Amazon is showing a $30 off coupon on it now which reduces the price to $105.99. I plugged the dongle into a wall charger inside and connected to the WiFi signal it gives off. I think it was like “VOLKSWAGENCA.” Then typed the numerical IP address into safari on my phone and the update began.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I pulled the trigger and got one. My hope is that it stays reliable. If for some reason it chooses not to work and the USB connection is behind the dash, the only way to restart it would be to turn off the vehicle. 🤞

·
Registered
149 Posts
Just got my stuff an hour ago and already installed.

Game

Changer.

I chose to use the bottom USB port for CarPlay because my 6" wireless charger cord conforms better in the top one. I also didn't zip tie the wireless CarPlay dongle because it's pretty light and seemed to stuff behind the panel fairly snuggly, but if I hear rattle I'll probably do that.

If I had to notice one thing off the bat, and this definitely isn't a major thing for me and I could be imagining it, but since it is now wireless I almost feel that the music quality is ever so slightly diminished. I need to test some more music to be completely sure. Also, it takes about an extra half-second to a second to start playing the music. Not sure if this is lag due to the wireless nature and maybe there's some buffering going on. I'm really hoping it doesn't lag the maps and turn-by-turn directions. That I'll test tomorrow.

·
Registered
6 Posts

View attachment 6382
You can get the LX plate, as it only has 1 USB port.

·
Super Moderator
1,771 Posts
How does one pop off the USB panel without major disassembly? Steps?

·
Registered
149 Posts
You can't without some disassembly, but it's not super hard. I believe everything you need to remove is just held by clips. (I pulled most of it off with just my hands, but if you aren't comfortable with that you can use a plastic trim removal set)

You can use this PDF for instructions:

Steps 6-13 should be enough, and I THINK you can skip removing the audio unit in step 7. I think you can get the console inner trim off in step 9 without having to do that, but don't quote me on it.

Edit: Now that I think of it, you MAY need to take off the passenger dashboard trim in steps 2-4 to be able to do step 9, but again, my memory is foggy on that.

·
Registered
2021 EX
11 Posts
Just watch this video. You will only need to tug on the a-c/heating panel to access the backside of the USB ports.

This is as far as I went with it. I did not remove the usb panel. I just depressed a button on the usb cord to remove it from the outlet and plugged the dongle into it.

Edit: if you’re asking about removing the usb panel for other reasons then I’m out of my lane here.

·
Super Moderator
1,771 Posts
Just watch this video. You will only need to tug on the a-c/heating panel to access the backside of the USB ports.

This is as far as I went with it. I did not remove the usb panel. I just depressed a button on the usb cord to remove it from the outlet and plugged the dongle into it.

Edit: if you’re asking about removing the usb panel for other reasons then I’m out of my lane here.

That was EXACTLY what I was lookig for. I want to play around with installing a powered USB hub and see if everything still works (CarPlay, USB music, etc.) as it should through a hub.

21 - 40 of 53 Posts