Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know the auto high beams sometimes don’t work right when going around curves, which makes sense as the camera is in a fixed location. But has anyone encountered their high beams turning on despite being only 1-2 car lengths behind another car?? I was behind a white Jaguar F type coupe and the high beam went on and then went off when a car came from the opposite direction. I was hoping it was a fluke but it did it again a minute later so of course the Jag driver thought I was irritated with him going slow so he put on the brakes and came to a complete stop in the middle of the road. Since it was my stupid car that caused him to wig out, I didn’t honk but I really wanted him to say something so I could make him feel stupid for being a jerk when I didn’t do it on purpose. I don’t understand why the camera couldn’t see his car, but inadvertent high beam flashing could become dangerous with the wrong person.

·
Super Moderator
3,319 Posts
Haven't had this happen since I run my headlights in manual (and maybe this run-in example is another reason why?), but can see how auto high beams could lead to road rage issues with the wrong person.

Were any of the following maybe at play to cause the auto high beams to flash:
  • Following Jaguar too close (blocking camera visibility to detect oncoming car/headlights)
  • Bright street lights (preventing camera from fully detecting change in lighting level)
  • Jaguar tail lights too dim (or too bright) to be detected by camera
  • Bumpy road (changing camera detection angle)
  • Windshield area in front of camera dirty

·
Super Moderator
2,339 Posts
I know the auto high beams sometimes don’t work right when going around curves, which makes sense as the camera is in a fixed location. But has anyone encountered their high beams turning on despite being only 1-2 car lengths behind another car?? I was behind a white Jaguar F type coupe and the high beam went on and then went off when a car came from the opposite direction. I was hoping it was a fluke but it did it again a minute later so of course the Jag driver thought I was irritated with him going slow so he put on the brakes and came to a complete stop in the middle of the road. Since it was my stupid car that caused him to wig out, I didn’t honk but I really wanted him to say something so I could make him feel stupid for being a jerk when I didn’t do it on purpose. I don’t understand why the camera couldn’t see his car, but inadvertent high beam flashing could become dangerous with the wrong person.
Your Insight seems to like to start trouble with you(water dripping on you) and now other cars. :wink:

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Haven't had this happen since I run my headlights in manual (and maybe this run-in example is another reason why?), but can see how auto high beams could lead to road rage issues with the wrong person.

Were any of the following maybe at play to cause the auto high beams to flash:
  • Following Jaguar too close (blocking camera visibility to detect oncoming car/headlights)
  • Bright street lights (preventing camera from fully detecting change in lighting level)
  • Jaguar tail lights too dim (or too bright) to be detected by camera
  • Bumpy road (changing camera detection angle)
  • Windshield area in front of camera dirty
I wondered if I was too close so when they turned on, I backed off (also so the driver wouldn’t think I was intentionally blinding him) but the lights stayed on until an oncoming car made them dim. The Jag had LED strip taillights, similar to the Insight, so they definitely weren’t too dim or bright. The road has bumps but not where the incident occurred. Windshield was decently clear. There are street lights but they aren’t that bright as large trees shade most of it. I’m almost wondering if the white color of his car maybe blinded the camera. The bad thing about the incident was there was no escape if he wanted to get physical as the road is temporarily altered so there was a curb and grass on one side and a raised barrier on the other. I was stuck behind him.

·
Registered
556 Posts
The only problem I have ever had with my auto brights is them getting stuck in bright mode and that has only happened twice. If no ideas before this answers the question then i'd say either you have a real problem, or like my ACC problem that I always talk about, you have run into a scenario where there might be a logic failure or limitation in the system. If they can't reproduce the problem at the dealer they won't likely help you. I've shown nearly 20 minutes of video footage of fails and Honda doesn't care about it. If it doesn't happen with their dealers then it's not a problem.

Car freak you amaze me. Not only is your insight hacking lougies at you, but it's also trying to get your butt kicked by a pissed off jag owner. If I were you, I'd reconsider complaining about the car's failings anymore and give your baby a massaging handwash while whispering sweet nothings in her ear with some Rachmaninoff playing in the background. 🤪

·
Super Moderator
3,319 Posts
Car freak you amaze me. Not only is your insight hacking lougies at you, but it's also trying to get your butt kicked by a pissed off jag owner. If I were you, I'd reconsider complaining about the car's failings anymore and give your baby a massaging handwash while whispering sweet nothings in her ear with some Rachmaninoff playing in the background. 🤪
My car responds best to "Clair de Lune" by Claude Debussy... LOLZ.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The only problem I have ever had with my auto brights is them getting stuck in bright mode and that has only happened twice. If no ideas before this answers the question then i'd say either you have a real problem, or like my ACC problem that I always talk about, you have run into a scenario where there might be a logic failure or limitation in the system. If they can't reproduce the problem at the dealer they won't likely help you. I've shown nearly 20 minutes of video footage of fails and Honda doesn't care about it. If it doesn't happen with their dealers then it's not a problem.

LOL. Despite her spitting at me and trying to get me killed, she knows I love her. She’s the first non performance oriented car I’ve ever felt strongly connected to.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thought I’d mention another auto high beam malfunction and it appears the correlation is that both cars were WHITE. Apparently, the system can’t see white cars. This time I was traveling about 3 car lengths behind a dark colored car and a white Honda Odyssey decided to cut in front of me. When it did, I was about 1 car length behind the van and my low beams were on. As soon as the minivan got in front of me, my Insight turned on the high beams as if she read my mind that I was irritated at the pointless maneuver of the van. It kept the high beams on long enough that I turned the switch off of auto mode. The taillights of the van were plenty high enough to see and I was a car length back so the cam should have recognized a car was in front of me. Something about white color confuses the camera and I wonder if that would cause issues with emergency braking as well.....

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've had trouble with the auto dimming headlights not dimming on many occasions, finally just turned it off. This is the first car I've had with the feature but I'm not impressed so far.

I'm not all that happy with the headlights in general. They look cool and they're bright but for some reason it's hard to see when the road is wet. I'm wondering if the lights are so white that the reflection off the road water makes it hard to see the white lines on the road?

I had a VW CC before and the headlights were remarkably great, better than anything I've ever driven. I didn't experience the we visibility issues with that car. The CC had a much more defined headlight beam.

·
Super Moderator
3,319 Posts
I've had trouble with the auto dimming headlights not dimming on many occasions, finally just turned it off. This is the first car I've had with the feature but I'm not impressed so far.

I'm not all that happy with the headlights in general. They look cool and they're bright but for some reason it's hard to see when the road is wet. I'm wondering if the lights are so white that the reflection off the road water makes it hard to see the white lines on the road?

I had a VW CC before and the headlights were remarkably great, better than anything I've ever driven. I didn't experience the we visibility issues with that car. The CC had a much more defined headlight beam.
I prefer manual headlight control myself. But maybe give a quick check that there isn't anything blocking the light sensor which controls the auto headlight and other dimming functions. (Sensor is at bottom center of windshield on LX/EX or to side of camera on Touring.)

The Insight's multi-LED headlight might cause some glare from the Insight's LED headlights on wet roads, but the lighting is tons better than what's emitted from my older Hondas. It's practically a 'night and day' difference...

·
Super Moderator
2,339 Posts

Do you carry heavy items in the trunk regularly? Have a Honda tech check the headlight aim vs factory recommended specs. even if you don't carry heavy items regularly. Sometimes cars can come from the factory with bad aim. Cleaning your windshield regularly can also reduce reflections.

Here's a screenshot from my dashcam on a portion of the highway which was pitch black with no cars behind me. The best headlights out of all the cars I've owned so far and the IIHS testing backs it up. :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts