Gen 3 Insight Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if during really hot weather: ie >100° would changing ac from vents only to vents and floor help keep hybrid battery cooler than vents only? I know "hot air rises, cool air descends" but blowing air on floor help?

·
Super Moderator
2019 OWP Insight EX, 2021 PWP Insight EX
1,779 Posts
Air is exchanged with cabin air to cool the HV battery. It really wouldn't make a difference.

Reactions: Insight_Bob

·
Registered
367 Posts
Theoretically, with the fan speed on high and the floor vents under the seats on, it would blow cool air back to the back floor area quicker, where the battery fan sucks in air, so it might cool it down a bit faster. Worth a try. Would only potentially help on shorter runs.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Theoretically, with the fan speed on high and the floor vents under the seats on, it would blow cool air back to the back floor area quicker, where the battery fan sucks in air, so it might cool it down a bit faster. Worth a try. Would only potentially help on shorter runs.
thanks, yeah most of trips are short where I live, College Station Tx, probably less than 15 miles to get anywhere, work is 6

·
Registered
503 Posts
I think I am going to try this today.. Every day I have left work, my cars been baking in the sun for 8 hours.. The dash indicates 100F every day lately when I am leaving so I KNOW that battery is cooking.. Seems to take a lot to cool down the car when it's that hot.. Once it gets going though the AC really cools things down.. I've noticed though when it is that hot and it is struggling to cool things down, my MPG's remind me of when it's cold outside.. I know in other threads it's talked about how efficient the AC is on our cars, but when it's hot it's hot and it takes a certain amount of energy to transfer that heat out of the car..

·
Registered
431 Posts
I've been using the same theory in winter to warm the battery. Seems to help mpg a little when its a 30 min drive or longer. I'd be most interested in reading about some comparison testing.

·
Registered
503 Posts
I think I am going to try this today.. Every day I have left work, my cars been baking in the sun for 8 hours.. The dash indicates 100F every day lately when I am leaving so I KNOW that battery is cooking.. Seems to take a lot to cool down the car when it's that hot.. Once it gets going though the AC really cools things down.. I've noticed though when it is that hot and it is struggling to cool things down, my MPG's remind me of when it's cold outside.. I know in other threads it's talked about how efficient the AC is on our cars, but when it's hot it's hot and it takes a certain amount of energy to transfer that heat out of the car..
Update: It was too hot to try this lol.. I tried, but even on the bi-level vent setting - the top vents don't put out a lot of air.. It was just too hot..

·
Registered
2021 Insight EX
116 Posts
Just curious: do you crack the windows (remotely, of course) before you leave work to try and vent the cooked air in the car? Does it help to remotely start the A/C? Might be worth testing. It won't help mpg, but it might make the ride less uncomfortable.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts