Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Hybrid CRV comes out in a few days. How many have it on their radar to trade for their current Insight?

I am curious and open to it...hubs might be a different story...I bought my Insight July of 2018. I wanted the HRV but it didn’t have Honda sensing at the time and the power was not much more then the 2015 FIT I was driving at the time.

·
Super Moderator
2,612 Posts
The Insight is perfect for me currently but I'm eager to read the reviews on the CRV Hybrid. :) It's a CRV powered by the Accord Hybrid's powertrain along with AWD. You won't get the Insight's higher fuel economy, newer infotainment system, newer steering wheel, and the LED headlights might be exclusive to the Touring trim with the CRV Hybrid.

·
Super Moderator
2,612 Posts
Didn't see this until now...
  • 2020 Honda CR-V Hybrid begins arriving at dealerships on March 1.
  • The new CR-V Hybrid comes standard with Real Time AWD with Intelligent Control System.
  • The CR-V Hybrid also comes with additional standard features that include LED headlights, Smart Entry and Push button Start, and a cargo cover.
  • The two-motor hybrid system under the hood of the 2020 CR-V Hybrid is similar to the one used in the Honda Accord Hybrid with additional advancements to the hybrid battery’s operating range, enabling more time in EV mode than previous Honda hybrids.

EPA Mileage Rating for regular CRV
City/Hwy/Combined
27/32/29
+13mpg/+3mpg/+9mpg for CRV Hybrid vs regular CRV

Looks like if you drive highway the CRV Hybrid is a dud fuel economy wise. 😕

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I will need to test drive to see. Too many options. I don’t need AWD. So non hybrid is an option. I don’t drive as much now....only have 16k miles on the car and that was with two trips of about 1k miles each.

·
Super Moderator
2,612 Posts
I will need to test drive to see. Too many options. I don’t need AWD. So non hybrid is an option. I don’t drive as much now....only have 16k miles on the car and that was with two trips of about 1k miles each.
Post an update here after you do the test drive. I'm interested in what you think of the CRV Hybrid compare to the Insight. :D

·
Super Moderator
3,892 Posts
The Hybrid CRV comes out in a few days. How many have it on their radar to trade for their current Insight?
I tend to "buy and hold" cars, so I'm in the Insight for the longhaul. There are a few folks who mentioned interest in our 2020 CR-V Hybrid thread, including @tightywhitey and @Diversion.

The standard AWD on the CR-V hybrid is a mpg-killer. The extra weight does the car no favors at higher speeds. Even the Prius AWD version gets 59 city / 48 highway, while the base versions get 58 mpg city / 53 mpg highway. Not sure why Honda chose to make AWD standard on the CR-V hybrid, rather than as an available option.

·
Super Moderator
2,612 Posts
Not sure why Honda chose to make AWD standard on the CR-V hybrid, rather than as an available option.
RAV4 Hybrid has the AWD standard. It's probably something they added to check off for marketing reasons.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It’s quite a mpg loss too. 50 vs 38. Hubs drives a Rogue and as a CUV, I’m not impressed with how it feels which is my bigger worry. I don’t drive enough to quibble over 12 mpg which leaves me to consider trading for a non hybrid FWD but that is only 27 mpg which seems way too little. And I like the blind spot and cross traffic notification that the Insight doesn’t have now.

·
Super Moderator
2,612 Posts
It’s quite a mpg loss too. 50 vs 38. Hubs drives a Rogue and as a CUV, I’m not impressed with how it feels which is my bigger worry. I don’t drive enough to quibble over 12 mpg which leaves me to consider trading for a non hybrid FWD but that is only 27 mpg which seems way too little. And I like the blind spot and cross traffic notification that the Insight doesn’t have now.
What about the KIA Seltos? I think it's similar in size to the HRV and the fuel economy isn't bad.

FWD vs AWD w/Turbo
Screenshot_2020-02-29 Compare Side-by-Side(1).png

·
Registered
100 Posts
Our friends bought one 2 weeks ago. Due to Coronavirus we have looked and peered into their car and have not sat or drove it yet despite seeing the car 2X already. For a comparable EX badge, the CR-V hybrid design is designed much better. The car is $5k more than the insight EX though.

For months and months, I kept on thinking this is the car we should have bought if it was available back in 2019 as we have two similarly sized sedans. However when I think about it more... Even had we bought a CR-V hybrid... we only would drive it marginally more than the Insight which less than 10k miles in 14 months.

I can only think of very limited occasion when I would drive the CR-V hybrid over the 3. I wouldn't drive the CR-V on road trips (no autopilot) and not even to home Depot except for buying bags of dirt (I haul 2x4 in the 3, I even built a small deck hauling redwood in my Accord), so it would only get used for oversized hauling like Costco and camping and when I would have 5 passengers in the car (a rarity).

It certainly it would be nice to have though. As much as I would like to replace the Insight with another gas car like the CR-V hybrid or Audi Q3. It wouldn't get used more than the Insight so it would be a no go. but had it been around last year, I'm certain we would have bought it.

·
Registered
100 Posts
So I've spent the last month taking lots of trips into deserts and mountains. I've put about 2000 miles in the last month. I'm still working from home.

Two trips in the last 1.5 weeks required higher clearance. On one trip I scraped the bottom of my model 3, 2-3 times on unpaved unmaintained private roads. This was about 80 miles from my house.

Then the other day, I was on groomed dirt roads. No scrapes but not ideal for a low clearance sport sedan. However this was a 400 mile day trip.

I would not drive 400 miles a day in a CR-V over the Model 3. No autopilot.

The shorter trip, I could live without autopilot. Since I would only be able to autopilot it for only 50-60 miles. Our friend with the hybrid CRV actually joined us on the mountain for an afternoon. There CR-V was "huffing and puffing" up the mountain as they explained.

I was planning to return in the fall and thinking of taking the Insight for the clearance, but if his CR-V Hybrid struggled, the insight would fare fat worse. I'm going to go borrow an RX330 instead.

Basically I would only take the CR-V Hybrid if the distance was not too far and I needed ground clearance. However sometime you just don't know if that clearance is needed. I was in rural Idaho last fall and the paved road ended and it was still 7 miles unpaved to the destination. I told the wife.... not in the 3. Let's take a detour.

There are miles and miles of unpaved roads in the Mojave desert here. I've always wanted to go on them... but I just don't have a vehicle with clearance. The CR-V would open up a lot adventures for me.

·
Super Moderator
2,612 Posts
There CR-V was "huffing and puffing" up the mountain as they explained.
^My Insight made it up a 2,006 ft mountain with 4 people at 40mph. I made sure the battery was above 50% before I started the climb and did it in sport mode. It's been a year since I went but from what I remember it didn't sound like the Insight struggled. It could be different if I had traffic to deal with behind me where I had to speed up though.

·
Registered
100 Posts
^My Insight made it up a 2,006 ft mountain with 4 people at 40mph. I made sure the battery was above 50% before I started the climb and did it in sport mode. It's been a year since I went but from what I remember it didn't sound like the Insight struggled. It could be different if I had traffic to deal with behind me where I had to speed up though.
approx 6000 ft. The triple switchbacks are awesome. Been up and down a few times. It's a really awesome road. I told my coworker about it. He came back in a
S2000 Club Racer. Confirmed it was a great drive.

·
Super Moderator
2,612 Posts
approx 6000 ft. The triple switchbacks are awesome. Been up and down a few times. It's a really awesome road. I told my coworker about it. He came back in a
S2000 Club Racer. Confirmed it was a great drive.

View attachment 5598
My Insight climbed a baby mountain by comparison. 😅 Sadly, highest mountain in MA is 3,491 feet. I don't think NA engines do well as you go up higher in elevation unlike a turbo. So it make sense the CRV-Hybrid struggled up that high.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts