Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi friends, new 2021 Touring owner here. Love the car, hate the stereo system, which seems to be a common mantra here after reading all the stereo upgrade threads (which I have really appreciated, BTW).

I've done my own stereo installs on older cars, but don't think I have the heart to tackle this one so I went to a local installer.

For speaker replacement, he is recommending that I choose between three different options:

Option 1: Replacing all the speakers with Memphis PRX (components in the front, coaxials in the back)
Option 2: Replacing all the speakers with Memphis MCX (components in the front, coaxials in the back)
Option 3: Replacing all the speakers with Infinity Kappa (components in the front, coaxials in the rear)

Then, he is recommending adding an aftermarket amp, of which he offers the following choices:

Option 1: Proper signal integration with an Audiocontrol integration device and a Kicker 360 true watt CX series amplifier
Option 2: Proper signal integration with an Audiocontrol integration device and a Kicker 400 true watt KX series amplifier
Option 3: Proper signal integration with an Audiocontrol integration device and a Kicker 500 true watt I! series amplifier

Any opinions? Questions I should ask the installer? Warnings for anything that doesn't look right? I've already contacted him back to remind him that I have a Touring, since his initial email seemed to indicate he assumed I was working from an 8-speaker setup.

Huge thanks,
Joshua

·
Administrator
4,838 Posts
Any opinions? Questions I should ask the installer? Warnings for anything that doesn't look right? I've already contacted him back to remind him that I have a Touring, since his initial email seemed to indicate he assumed I was working from an 8-speaker setup.
Welcome to the forum. The center speaker seems to the bane for Touring owners. Did your installer have any thoughts on it, or do any of the options change given that the Touring's 10-speaker setup?

A few Touring center channel discussions:
- Touring Center Channel Speaker & Honda Hack
- Stereo Upgrade - Center speaker replacement on Touring
- Stereo Upgrade - Has anyone upgraded their speakers?

·
Registered
195 Posts
For what it is worth, tearing apart this interior of this car is pretty easy. There are a lot less screws than older vehicles. If you have done stereo upgrades in the past there is really not any difference other than Honda has seen fit to keep manuals fairly secret unless you are willing to pay.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Welcome to the forum. The center speaker seems to the bane for Touring owners. Did your installer have any thoughts on it, or do any of the options change given that the Touring's 10-speaker setup?

A few Touring center channel discussions:
I think I'm the one (using info from this forum) passing my installer info about the nuances of this car, since the few installers in the area I've spoken with haven't worked on an Insight Touring yet. So at this point, I don't have a recommendation from him on the center channel yet. Honestly, I'm a bit overwhelmed by all the different routes that others have tried without reaching consensus — swapping out the center channel, adding DSP, just tweaking Spotify EQ control, etc. I wish this was a simpler upgrade (like in older cars — swap out the speakers, voila!)

Can't tell you how much I appreciate reading others experiences here, and the opportunity to get advice from other owners.
-Joshua

·
Administrator
4,838 Posts
I think I'm the one (using info from this forum) educating my installer about the nuances of this car, since the few installers in the area I've spoken with haven't worked on an Insight Touring yet. So at this point, I don't have a recommendation from him on the center channel yet. Honestly, I'm a bit overwhelmed by all the different routes that seem possible — DSP, phone app control, etc. I wish this was a simpler upgrade (like in older cars — swap out the speakers, voila!)
Maybe your installer can draw parallel to the more prevalent GenX Accord (with comparable infotainment system) or GenX Civic (with comparable body/size acoustics). The premium OEM speakers are all Foster. The Clarity Fuel Cell model also has some of the same components, but it's less popular than the Insight so I've left it out of the list.

The Touring Insight's premium speaker assemblies are common to the following models:
Gen3 InsightGenX CivicGenX Accord
Premium Front Tweeter (Foster)
39120-TBA-A61
2019 Touring
2020 Touring
2021 Touring
2016 EX-T, Touring
2017 EX-T, SI, Touring
2018 All Models
2019 SI, Sport, Touring
2020 SI, Sport, Touring
----------
Premium Woofer (Foster)
39120-TVA-A71
2019 Touring
2020 Touring
2021 Touring
2019 SI, Touring
2020 SI, Touring
2018 EX-L, Touring
2019 EX-L, Touring
2020 EX-L, Touring
Premium Rear Tweeter (Foster)
39120-TBA-A91
2019 Touring
2020 Touring
2021 Touring
2016 EX-T, Touring
2017 EX-T, SI
2018 EX-T, SI, Touring
2019 SI, Touring
2020 SI, Touring
2018 EX-L, Touring
2019 EX-L, Touring
2020 EX-L, Touring
Premium Rear (17CM) (Foster)
39120-TBA-A51
2019 Touring
2020 Touring
2021 Touring
2017 SI
2018 SI
2019 SI
2020 SI
2018 EX-L, Touring
2019 EX-L, Touring
2020 EX-L, Touring
Premium Door (17CM) (Foster)
39120-TBA-A81
2019 Touring
2020 Touring
2021 Touring
2016 EX-T, Touring
2017 EX-T, SI, Touring
2018 All Models
2019 SI, Sport, Touring
2020 SI, Sport, Touring
2018 EX-L, Touring
2019 EX-L, Touring
2020 EX-L Touring
Premium Center (8CM) (Foster)
39120-TY2-A71
2019 Touring
2020 Touring
2021 Touring
2016 EX-T, Touring
2017 EX-T, SI, Touring
2018 All Models
2019 SI, Sport, Touring
2020 SI, Sport, Touring
2018 EX-L, Touring
2019 EX-L, Touring
2020 EX-L, Touring

(P.S. - I'm an EX owner and have been happy enough with the OEM speakers, so the above is based on online search versus experience.)

·
Registered
2019 Honda Insight Touring
719 Posts
To be honest you won't be happy with any of these upgrades unless your amps have a DSP to fix the horrid equalization settings made in the Honda/pioneer system. I went all the routes before figuring you just had to have a pro redesign the soundstage of the system I did a huge number of videos on this on my channel. If you need any more help please feel free to e-mail me at [email protected].

BTW/ Audio Control is excellent. They have a few systems with a nice DSP built in.

·
Registered
2019 Honda Insight Touring
719 Posts
I think I'm the one (using info from this forum) passing my installer info about the nuances of this car, since the few installers in the area I've spoken with haven't worked on an Insight Touring yet. So at this point, I don't have a recommendation from him on the center channel yet. Honestly, I'm a bit overwhelmed by all the different routes that others have tried without reaching consensus — swapping out the center channel, adding DSP, just tweaking Spotify EQ control, etc. I wish this was a simpler upgrade (like in older cars — swap out the speakers, voila!)

Can't tell you how much I appreciate reading others experiences here, and the opportunity to get advice from other owners.
-Joshua
If you get a good tuner involved you can get away with a simple high wattage Kicker center speaker. With proper tuning the Center won't be a problem anymore.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts