Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Corolla Hybrid is named the winner in this comparison video, mostly for its EPA-beating fuel efficiency after a week of comparison driving. The Insight took an mpg hit due to it being a Touring trim (vs Corolla Hybrid LE) and on a highway test route (Corolla hybrid gets better highway mpg).

Also heard a couple nuggets to share from the video, which I hadn't heard articulated before (vs learning from experiential driving):
- Pushing down 25% on the throttle while in Sport is the same as going full throttle [in other modes]
- Honda doesn't recommend using the EV button because it results in worse real-world fuel economy as the gas engine recharges the HV battery after-the-fact.

(NOTE: Corolla Hybrid also has an EV mode - and ECO/Power modes - but apparently EV on the Corolla wasn't ding'd by this reviewer because the car got better-than-EPA mpg?)

https://youtu.be/6XRFBIZObM0?t=485

·
Registered
836 Posts
Honda doesn't recommend using the EV button, as it negatively affects MPG... While this is true if used without strategy, there are plenty of strategic opportunities to use EV mode, to increase fuel economy.

Using EV mode to bleed off battery level before a long descent for example. Knowing full well that the recovery of the descent will surpass the battery charge level = better fuel economy.

Using EV mode to accelerate to 45 mph+ when you have sufficient battery level to do so, knowing that you'll spend a while at a set speed, should also net a better fuel mileage outcome than not, although I do suspect that after a certain distance this will nullify itself.

The key here is to never use EV mode until the point where it cancels due to low charge level. So if using to accelerate, I accelerate out of "EV" mode when the Charge level drops to 4 bars. Once the battery is depleted, the ICE has to work much harder to accelerate and charge, than it would just trying to accelerate.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Honda Insight EX (White Orchid Pearl)
2,326 Posts
I feel the same way about the regen paddles. You don't want to always go for max regen. I adjust my regen level depending on the traffic up ahead where I prioritize keeping my momentum so I don't need to accelerate from a full stop. The drive modes/paddles allows more engagement from the driver and are great tools for those that want to hypermile. :smile:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts