Gen 3 Insight Forum banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Honda Insight Touring
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Update: I've ordered the y-split adapter and 2 Accord horns, will see how it goes
The 2 horns and the adapter came. I've been able to get that first shroud off, but I can not for the life of me get the painted upper trim off. I'm pretty sure I've removed all the screws and clips, but it just doesn't want to come off and the last thing I want to do is break it. @Verdier any tips on how to proceed? I've looked at both of your horn videos but neither of them seem to cover this part very much.

·
Registered
751 Posts
The 2 horns and the adapter came. I've been able to get that first shroud off, but I can not for the life of me get the painted upper trim off. I'm pretty sure I've removed all the screws and clips, but it just doesn't want to come off and the last thing I want to do is break it. @Verdier any tips on how to proceed? I've looked at both of your horn videos but neither of them seem to cover this part very much.
Not to come off as a butthead, but the only advice I can give is you missed a clip. The painted nose is held by what looks to be nearly 10 clip that span across the front all the way to 1/3 up the side. I would suspect you missed one of the clips on either end of the nose. If I remember correctly the painted nose piece has a plastic tip that extends on each side that has a hole where a clip pops in. If that doesn't help then I suggest you pop off all the clips you see in the nose area like I did in the second video. They're easy to reinstall and you've probably missed a clip. Be careful pulling the painted nose off since the plastic on each end can crack or break off easily if you don't get the far clip off first before you pull. If you need more help try reaching me at [email protected].

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Not to come off as a butthead, but the only advice I can give is you missed a clip. The painted nose is held by what looks to be nearly 10 clip that span across the front all the way to 1/3 up the side. I would suspect you missed one of the clips on either end of the nose. If I remember correctly the painted nose piece has a plastic tip that extends on each side that has a hole where a clip pops in. If that doesn't help then I suggest you pop off all the clips you see in the nose area like I did in the second video. They're easy to reinstall and you've probably missed a clip. Be careful pulling the painted nose off since the plastic on each end can crack or break off easily if you don't get the far clip off first before you pull. If you need more help try reaching me at [email protected].
Thanks for your reply. I double and triple and quadruple-checked using this as a reference. It came from a pdf someone posted in the original horn thread. Does the number of clips/their positions seem right to you? Did you not have to push down on the two tabs marked by the red arrows or take out the 4 Phillips head screws?

I'm going to try what you said and just remove all of the clips tomorrow. Hopefully I can get it off but if not I'll shoot you an email. I appreciate the help.

Attachments

·
Registered
751 Posts
Thanks for your reply. I double and triple and quadruple-checked using this as a reference. It came from a pdf someone posted in the original horn thread. Does the number of clips/their positions seem right to you? Did you not have to push down on the two tabs marked by the red arrows or take out the 4 Phillips head screws?

I'm going to try what you said and just remove all of the clips tomorrow. Hopefully I can get it off but if not I'll shoot you an email. I appreciate the help.
It's been a long time since I did this modification, but it's quite possible there are 2 screws at the end of plastic to remove. I should have been a bit more accurate when I said clips and mentioned the possibility that there are a few screws in the end of each piece . It's probable that they hook the extended plastic edges of the painted piece to the car. Again my memory sucks on good days let alone on year old modifications.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Just replaced my horn today. I used these parts

Plus I replaced every push rivet I took out as some were brittle. Amazon.com

I removed the plastic cover at the top and the panel underneath. I did NOT remove any of the bumper or front painted trim but I did have to unbolt the hood latch to get the second panel off. After that there was plenty of room to work. The double tone horn is so much better than the stock horn.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Just replaced my horn today. I used these parts

Plus I replaced every push rivet I took out as some were brittle. Amazon.com

I removed the plastic cover at the top and the panel underneath. I did NOT remove any of the bumper or front painted trim but I did have to unbolt the hood latch to get the second panel off. After that there was plenty of room to work. The double tone horn is so much better than the stock horn.
Hey man, good to know the SEINECA adapter works. For something so useful I sure did have to dig to find it. The last few weeks have been busy for me and I haven't checked back on the forums since my last post, sorry. How is everything holding up? The horns and the adapter? Did you use a guide/video to remove the front portion to access the horn? If you did I would appreciate if you could share it as that was the main roadblock that prevented me from doing it myself.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hey man, good to know the SEINECA adapter works. For something so useful I sure did have to dig to find it. The last few weeks have been busy for me and I haven't checked back on the forums since my last post, sorry. How is everything holding up? The horns and the adapter? Did you use a guide/video to remove the front portion to access the horn? If you did I would appreciate if you could share it as that was the main roadblock that prevented me from doing it myself.
I didn't use any guides or videos. And I didn't remove any part of the front. I removed both the plastic panels at the top around the hood latch. And to get the second one out I had to unbolt the hood latch as well. Then there was plenty of room to access everything from the top. I tried to get the upper trim (above the chrome) off but it seems there were a couple bolts at the end that I couldn't access or at least neither I nor my friend could figure out how. They looked to be attached from the inside.

The adapter works fine. Just a bit long really. Had to coil it up and zip tie it as I didn't want a lot of extra cable hanging around in there.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
I didn't use any guides or videos. And I didn't remove any part of the front. I removed both the plastic panels at the top around the hood latch. And to get the second one out I had to unbolt the hood latch as well. Then there was plenty of room to access everything from the top. I tried to get the upper trim (above the chrome) off but it seems there were a couple bolts at the end that I couldn't access or at least neither I nor my friend could figure out how. They looked to be attached from the inside.

The adapter works fine. Just a bit long really. Had to coil it up and zip tie it as I didn't want a lot of extra cable hanging around in there.
So you never removed this upper trim piece? That was the thing that got me stuck.

I was able to remove the first plastic piece, but the one under it (this one) seemed to only be able to wiggle around, not actually come out. I couldn't really see the horn at all if I remember correctly. I'd really appreciate it if you could send a picture of what your access to the horns looked like, along with a picture of how you positioned the horns and wires.

·
Registered
11 Posts
So you never removed this upper trim piece? That was the thing that got me stuck.

I was able to remove the first plastic piece, but the one under it (this one) seemed to only be able to wiggle around, not actually come out. I couldn't really see the horn at all if I remember correctly. I'd really appreciate it if you could send a picture of what your access to the horns looked like, along with a picture of how you positioned the horns and wires.
I did not remove the upper trim piece. I tried but it seemed there were some attachments I couldn't see. As for the other linked piece Once I got all the bolts and clips undone I then had to remove the hood latch and IIRC the piece did not completely come out (because the cable for the hood latch is attached to it) but I was able to move it out of the way enough to work. This is the best I have for showing the access. You can see that second piece moved out of the way but not completely removed. There is plenty of room then to get both hands in. I've got the original horn out and sitting on top as I was testing the splitter cable at this point.
Hood Automotive tire Automotive design Motor vehicle Bumper

As for the horns themselves, i attached one to the bracket the same way the original horn was attached and then used the bracket pieces that came with the horns (some smaller straight metal pieces you can see in the amazon listing) attached together in a straight line with another nut and bolt so the second horn had a semi-rigid connection below and to the left of the first horn. I plugged the splitter cable into the original connection and then due to the length coiled it twice before plugging it into each horn. I've attached a pic of what you can see through the grill from the front. It is not as neat as I'd like it but at least the wires aren't hanging loose.

Hood Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Bumper

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
I did not remove the upper trim piece. I tried but it seemed there were some attachments I couldn't see. As for the other linked piece Once I got all the bolts and clips undone I then had to remove the hood latch and IIRC the piece did not completely come out (because the cable for the hood latch is attached to it) but I was able to move it out of the way enough to work. This is the best I have for showing the access. You can see that second piece moved out of the way but not completely removed. There is plenty of room then to get both hands in. I've got the original horn out and sitting on top as I was testing the splitter cable at this point.
View attachment 7588

As for the horns themselves, i attached one to the bracket the same way the original horn was attached and then used the bracket pieces that came with the horns (some smaller straight metal pieces you can see in the amazon listing) attached together in a straight line with another nut and bolt so the second horn had a semi-rigid connection below and to the left of the first horn. I plugged the splitter cable into the original connection and then due to the length coiled it twice before plugging it into each horn. I've attached a pic of what you can see through the grill from the front. It is not as neat as I'd like it but at least the wires aren't hanging loose.

View attachment 7587
Thanks man, this looks very promising. I'll try to see if I can attempt the upgrade sometime this month when I have time. Is it alright if I use your photos and explanations? I want to tell people about it on the Gen 3 Insight Facebook Group. I've seen a few people complain about the lackluster horn on there as well.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thanks man, this looks very promising. I'll try to see if I can attempt the upgrade sometime this month when I have time. Is it alright if I use your photos and explanations? I want to tell people about it on the Gen 3 Insight Facebook Group. I've seen a few people complain about the lackluster horn on there as well.
use whatever you want

21 - 31 of 31 Posts