Gen 3 Insight Forum banner
41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
2021 EX
11 Posts
Complaints so far: I’m getting some black screens like my infotainment is falling asleep. It also takes a few minutes for my phone to connect via the wireless dongle which is minor but frustrating. Also, sometimes Waze does not give me the option to choose a destination. It’s just the map. I’ve done the factory reset (in the settings menu) twice which reset the run time hours. I’m going to go back to the hard wired factory set up and see if it’s the dongle or my car. I have ~800 miles on my 2021 Insight.

·
Registered
2020 Insight EX Crimson Pearl
149 Posts
Complaints so far: I’m getting some black screens like my infotainment is falling asleep. It also takes a few minutes for my phone to connect via the wireless dongle which is minor but frustrating. Also, sometimes Waze does not give me the option to choose a destination. It’s just the map. I’ve done the factory reset (in the settings menu) twice which reset the run time hours. I’m going to go back to the hard wired factory set up and see if it’s the dongle or my car. I have ~800 miles on my 2021 Insight.
That's a bummer. I was planning to wait a while longer before giving a more thorough review (and I will still do that), but so far I haven't had those issues. Occasionally the album artwork doesn't update between tracks on the DII and I think once I had some weird issue with the Start Route option on my Google Maps, where the text was garbled but I could still press it, but other than that it's worked for me pretty well. Takes only about 10 seconds to load up for me after I turn on the vehicle.

·
Registered
574 Posts
I highly recommend anyone interested in keeping high quality sound from wireless car play, being able to watch videos on headunit, and many other features of various aftermarket head units, buying an LX.

This whole thread has been cringe for me. The only thing I really like from the higher end models is a sunroof.

It’s just ridiculous what I can do in my car. I bought an hdmi splitter and now can switch between playing videos games and watching videos on my 10” screen with the touch of a few buttons.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I highly recommend anyone interested in keeping high quality sound from wireless car play, being able to watch videos on headunit, and many other features of various aftermarket head units, buying an LX.

This whole thread has been cringe for me. The only thing I really like from the higher end models is a sunroof.

It’s just ridiculous what I can do in my car. I bought an hdmi splitter and now can switch between playing videos games and watching videos on my 10” screen with the touch of a few buttons.
In short, to each his own.

I personally don't have a need or desire to play video games or watch movies in my car. There are other features in the EX that aren't in the LX that I prefer (moonroof is only in Touring). I also prefer the stock infotainment system over an aftermarket headunit because I like retaining the vehicle system features unique to it. That's my preference.

Regarding Carplay, all wireless Carplay uses the same standards and technology which is to stream over Wifi. The difference in quality is not between wireless Carplay being integrated into a headunit or being integrated through a dongle, but through being either wireless or wired (If there is a difference...could have all been in my head). There may be other non-audio downfalls between the two with some of the problems S.A.M. is getting that I'm currently not, but at the end of the day, it's just a holdover for me until Honda decides to active wireless Carplay in the infotainment systems (if they even can or will). Otherwise, if I have too many problems I'll go back to wired. Wireless is a convenience to me, not a necessity.

Anyway, all I'm trying to say is that everyone is different and if you want to get an LX and an aftermarket headunit and play video games and watch movies, then that's cool. If you don't, that's cool too. I'm not trying to convince anyone either way, just offering information if anyone else wants to go down that route. If that's cringe to you, that's fine. Everyone's entitled to customize their vehicles as they see fit. I know I've seen some mods on these forums that I definitely prefer not to do. ;)

·
Registered
574 Posts
The reason I bring up watching videos is because some other people have brought that to our attention here. Also, you mentioned with your CarPlay wireless device you have, the sound quality is worse. In my experience with aftermarket head units (at least the ones I had) the sound quality is virtually unchanged from wired to wireless, so that was my suggestion.

Also with the LX, you retain all car controls on the screen in front of you.

·
Registered
149 Posts
The reason I bring up watching videos is because some other people have brought that to our attention here. Also, you mentioned with your CarPlay wireless device you have, the sound quality is worse. In my experience with aftermarket head units (at least the ones I had) the sound quality is virtually unchanged from wired to wireless, so that was my suggestion.
No, that's cool. You're very happy with your setup. I've done similar setups in the past and enjoyed them as well. I had a Pioneer NEX deck in my 2012 Insight which also had CarPlay and allowed me to watch movies, and I even put in headrests with video monitors for the peeps in the back seat when I took longer trips with my friends and drove Lift. So far it's just not something I'm interested in doing with this vehicle.

Anyway, to quote what I had said about audio quality, "If I had to notice one thing off the bat, and this definitely isn't a major thing for me and I could be imagining it, but since it is now wireless I almost feel that the music quality is ever so slightly diminished. I need to test some more music to be completely sure."

So let me clarify. I haven't done any true multiple-song wired vs. wireless testing yet (had a busy weekend). I was basing this off of an initial reaction over what I initially heard (which was literally one song from an older album from the 90's), and like I said, could have been all in my head or that particular song could have just not been a good quality audio file. I just haven't had a chance to do proper side-by-side comparisons of it plugged in vs. not. When I do I could very well find it to be universally worse. I might not. Other than that I've just been playing music as I drive and it hasn't sounded bad, at least from what I can tell over the road noise. Perhaps it's just me getting older, but I'm just not that picky about having the highest of high quality, external amps, new speakers, etc.. As long as music is playing and it sounds decent and not like an AM radio, I'm pretty happy lol.

Also with the LX, you retain all car controls on the screen in front of you.
Same with the other trims. I can configure the vehicle through the DII, but prefer doing it on the headunit, along with having some of the readouts there instead of the DII.

I'm finding as cars are getting better with their stock headunits, especially with vehicle integration, my desire to swap them out diminishes...especially since audio quality isn't as high on the scale for me anymore. CarPlay gives me everything I need for now.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Took a trip this weekend that was around 250 miles round trip, and found that every 40-45 minutes the Wireless CarPlay was causing the infotainment system to reboot. After the third time doing this, the system didn't come back on...only had a blank screen. When I finally was at a stoplight, I quickly put the car into park and turned it off and on, but the screen never came back up. About 20 minutes later I stopped to make a restroom break and yanked off the A/C panel to unplug my dongle from the USB. Thankfully, after starting the car back up the infotainment system went back to normal.

This was the drive I had done that was longer than 20 minutes since I put the dongle in. I guess it's okay for shorter drives, but for longer ones, it wigs out the system. Since there was a 20 minute period between when it died and when I took it out I couldn't tell if it had overheated or not. I also haven't checked it for any updates since I bought it. I should probably do that.

·
Super Moderator
2019 OWP Insight EX, 2021 PWP Insight EX
1,771 Posts
I took a chance and ordered this tonight:

Amazon.com: ATOTO AD3-A Wireless CarPlay Adapter - 2022 Support Online Upgrade Convert Wired into Wireless for Factory Wired CarPlay or Aftermarket Car Stereo, Wireless CarPlay Dongle, Plug & Play, Auto Connect. : Electronics

Promo code "50ATOTOAD3A" brings the cost down to $59.50.

It's a gamble, but I can always return it if it doesn't work. Most of the reviews are from Japan and Germany. Yeah. I know, not gonna work. I thought I'd give it a chance. I can always send it back to Amazon. Will post results after Monday when it arrives.

Reactions: jensight

·
Super Moderator
1,771 Posts
I took a chance and ordered this tonight:

Amazon.com: ATOTO AD3-A Wireless CarPlay Adapter - 2022 Support Online Upgrade Convert Wired into Wireless for Factory Wired CarPlay or Aftermarket Car Stereo, Wireless CarPlay Dongle, Plug & Play, Auto Connect. : Electronics

Promo code "50ATOTOAD3A" brings the cost down to $59.50.

It's a gamble, but I can always return it if it doesn't work. Most of the reviews are from Japan and Germany. Yeah. I know, not gonna work. I thought I'd give it a chance. I can always send it back to Amazon. Will post results after Monday when it arrives.
Wow. It arrived and worked exactly as advertised. I just ordered a MagSafe charger to complete being totally cable-free in my Insight!
Amazon.com: COSDIG Magnetic Wireless Car Charger Mount,15W Fast Charging Compatible with Magsafe Car Charger Mount,Stick on Dashboard Air Vent Phone Holder for iPhone 13/12 Series Phone & MagSafe Case : Cell Phones & Accessories

The CarPlay adapter sits in front of the battery under the console with the wire to plug in coming through just below the HVAC controls (minor unseen Dremel-ing required). The MagSafe charger will go on the phone tray when it arrives. May need to alter the tray pad for a nicer look. More to come.

Responsiveness of the Atoto CarPlay adapter isn't as good as hardwired, but it's pretty damn close. I'm sold on it.

Reactions: jensight

·
Registered
2022 Lunar Silver Insight EX
38 Posts
Wow. It arrived and worked exactly as advertised. I just ordered a MagSafe charger to complete being totally cable-free in my Insight!
Amazon.com: COSDIG Magnetic Wireless Car Charger Mount,15W Fast Charging Compatible with Magsafe Car Charger Mount,Stick on Dashboard Air Vent Phone Holder for iPhone 13/12 Series Phone & MagSafe Case : Cell Phones & Accessories

The CarPlay adapter sits in front of the battery under the console with the wire to plug in coming through just below the HVAC controls (minor unseen Dremel-ing required). The MagSafe charger will go on the phone tray when it arrives. May need to alter the tray pad for a nicer look. More to come.

Responsiveness of the Atoto CarPlay adapter isn't as good as hardwired, but it's pretty damn close. I'm sold on it.
Pictures please

·
Super Moderator
1,771 Posts
Thought I'd post an update on my wireless CarPlay unit. After installing, I ran into issues with unexpected reboots of the CarPlay unit (not the Insight's infotainment center) along with the screen going into sleep mode. I lived with it for a while (weeks) until I finally reached out to the manufacturer a few days ago. I was impressed. Upon contacting them, they emailed me an updated firmware file and instructions for installing. After a few minutes, the update was installed. I've taken a few drives since the update, and the unit has been rock-solid. I'd recommend the unit (with the firmware update, of course) to anyone looking for wireless CarPlay for their Insight. The fact the manufacturer is so responsive adds bonus points. If anyone has bought this unit and needs the firmware update file, please let me know - I can email it to you.

41 - 53 of 53 Posts