Gen 3 Insight Forum banner
101 - 120 of 145 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,838 Posts
Reset rather than reboot (is there a reliable way of doing this on the 3rd-gen Insight), which obliterates all settings?
Not sure if others can replicate this OR if this is advisable... but my infotainment system seems to reset itself when it loses external antenna contact. This happens almost daily, as antenna contact seems to be cut off until I pull out of the garage.

I've never done a 'manual reset' myself and the system uptime stays relatively low. First blank screen issue was just yesterday, more than 1 year into ownership.

·
Premium Member
4,838 Posts
Could it be possible you lowered the brightness enough that the screen looks like it was off?
I thought this when it happened, but none of the hard buttons were responding. And when the screen did come back up (while I was driving) the brightness settings had returned to where they were before I adjusted (probably because I wasn't able to hit 'save' before screen went blank).

·
Premium Member
4,838 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2019 Honda Insight EX
3,273 Posts
Not sure if others can replicate this OR if this is advisable... but my infotainment system seems to reset itself when it loses external antenna contact. This happens almost daily, as antenna contact seems to be cut off until I pull out of the garage.

I've never done a 'manual reset' myself and the system uptime stays relatively low. First blank screen issue was just yesterday, more than 1 year into ownership.
You might want to get that look at the dealership since you know what's causing the problem. I go through the i93 tunnel underneath Boston frequently. I lose radio & gps down there but the infotainment system remains normal.

·
Registered
836 Posts

I will try and data log for a while, I have never noticed a reset due to lost antenna connection. Not saying it's impossible, just not something I was paying attention to.

·
Premium Member
4,838 Posts
You might want to get that look at the dealership since you know what's causing the problem. I go through the i93 tunnel underneath Boston frequently. I lose radio & gps down there but the infotainment system remains normal.
I've been very okay with it resetting itself (and kind of regarded it as a 'feature'), since it automatically handles the reboot that others are having to remember/do manually. I haven't had any infotainment issues until yesterday, and even at that it seemed 'mild' in that it came back up on its own (i.e. didn't need to power down car).

The infotainment typically doesn't reset itself while I'm driving nor below underpasses. I'm pretty certain antenna loss triggers the infotainment reset, because the radio signal stays off until I pull out a certain distance from garage. I don't lose radio in any other conditions, except this certain position in garage.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Honda Insight EX
3,273 Posts
My uptime streak came to an end today. I'm guessing I was between 2,900 - 3,000 hours since I took the below picture a day or so ago. Infotainment system crashed and rebooted itself while using Waze.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Man I'm so disappointed in honda. Head unit crashed for 30 minutes on my drive home yesterday.. So dumb. It's been doing that more often now. Literally couldnt even force reboot it. Totally frozen till it finally rebooted after about 10 minutes. No updates and I see people on the accord forms experiencing the same issues...

·
Registered
57 Posts
Man I'm so disappointed in honda. Head unit crashed for 30 minutes on my drive home yesterday.. So dumb. It's been doing that more often now. Literally couldnt even force reboot it. Totally frozen till it finally rebooted after about 10 minutes. No updates and I see people on the accord forms experiencing the same issues...
And then there are the folks with Civics who just have to hold their power button for 3 seconds to get a reboot prompt. I think I updated my old Ford system 3 times via usb drives. Not sure how/if Honda does updates as this is my first one. The Ford system was total garbage so I'm not implying, in any way, that it was better over there.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Yea so if you go into the crash logs it's typically sxm antenna disconnect and a few others...but I'd say 95% of the time is sxm...nice.

I figured is gotta be the interaction between android and all the other systems and the iPhone... Shoot the head unit is running Android 6.0...thats from 2015... I love having a 2020 car with 2015 tech in it...

It's actually super disappointing that honda is this far behind. Now I know why Tesla has gained such a cult following...me included... They actually use present day technology in their vehicles...

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hello, everyone I just wanted to update everyone on my 2020 Insight Touring that I dropped off to the dealership because of the reboot issue. My buddy who is the tech working on my car said he contacted the Honda techline and after talking to them they came to the conclusion to send me a new head unit. Maybe there is a know issue / fix for this problem that Honda knows about now. My buddy said it will take a day or two for the replacement head unit to come in. I'll try and keep y'all updated if I hear anything else from my buddy or if I see that it actually fixes the issue. I've own the car for two months and the unit has rebooted 3 times already. I also noticed that when I make a phone call through the Bluetooth the last song display on the screen was the one playing when I started the call even though there is a new song playing.

·
Super Moderator
2019 OWP Insight EX, 2021 PWP Insight EX
1,804 Posts
Hello, everyone I just wanted to update everyone on my 2020 Insight Touring that I dropped off to the dealership because of the reboot issue. My buddy who is the tech working on my car said he contacted the Honda techline and after talking to them they came to the conclusion to send me a new head unit. Maybe there is a know issue / fix for this problem that Honda knows about now. My buddy said it will take a day or two for the replacement head unit to come in. I'll try and keep y'all updated if I hear anything else from my buddy or if I see that it actually fixes the issue. I've own the car for two months and the unit has rebooted 3 times already. I also noticed that when I make a phone call through the Bluetooth the last song display on the screen was the one playing when I started the call even though there is a new song playing.
My friend with a Hybrid Accord had/still has a persistent head unit reboot issue. Honda threw everything at it, including a new head unit. He eventually sued Honda under the lemon law. He didn't get them to take the car back due to the nature of the defect, but he DID net a $4000 payment from Honda in the end and is keeping his Accord Hybrid. Good luck, but I wouldn't expect the new head unit to be a solid fix.

Reactions: Usalinh

·
Registered
29 Posts
My friend with a Hybrid Accord had/still has a persistent head unit reboot issue. Honda threw everything at it, including a new head unit. He eventually sued Honda under the lemon law. He didn't get them to take the car back due to the nature of the defect, but he DID net a $4000 payment from Honda in the end and is keeping his Accord Hybrid. Good luck, but I wouldn't expect the new head unit to be a solid fix.
Hopefully the head unit has new hardware and also the new software update that just came out has the "rebooting" issue listed as one of the many fixes it's suppose to fix. Fingers crossed!

·
Premium Member
4,838 Posts
Hopefully the head unit has new hardware and also the new software update that just came out has the "rebooting" issue listed as one of the many fixes it's suppose to fix. Fingers crossed!
The update is dated 4/6/20, so it's right on the cusp of when your replace/repair was done. You can verify the version you have using one of the following paths on the infotainment screen:
  • HOME --> System Updates --> Settings --> Version Status
  • HOME --> Settings --> System --> About --> Build Number

If version 18AE-2071-001 is listed, your system has the latest software that was released over-the-air on 4/6/20.

·
Super Moderator
2019 OWP Insight EX, 2021 PWP Insight EX
1,804 Posts
My infotainment system resets itself via automatic soft reboot after it loses/regains radio antenna contact when I pull into garage. I've never done a 'manual reset' myself and my the system uptime stays relatively low and seemingly 'healthy' otherwise.
I'm not sure this behavior is considered normal. Any failure of the infotainment center means the rear camera is inoperative, and I'm sure the gub-ment would have an issue with that.

I garage my Insight and have never had the infotainment system restart upon radio signal failure. Is this a regular occurrence?

·
Premium Member
4,838 Posts
I'm not sure this behavior is considered normal. Any failure of the infotainment center means the rear camera is inoperative, and I'm sure the gub-ment would have an issue with that.
Agree that it's odd behavior, but it hasn't affected any functionality of the infotainment screen nor back-up camera. The only way I noticed this was occurring was when I checked system uptime, prompted by mentions of infotainment system crashes in this forum. I'd never experienced a crash and had never soft-rebooted, so was surprised that I found low system uptime. I started to check the uptime more often and found that it was most likely to reset itself while pulling out from garage. Since it hasn't caused any other functionality issues, I've been kinda pleased with this self-soft-reboot "feature."

101 - 120 of 145 Posts