Gen 3 Insight Forum banner
121 - 140 of 145 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2019 Honda Insight EX
3,273 Posts
I would still inquire about it before your warranty runs out. Imagine having the infotainment system reboot itself each time you lose radio/gps like going through a tunnel. I drive through a long tunnel on the highway into Boston and my uptime is 1000+ hours since the April update.

·
Premium Member
4,838 Posts
I would still inquire about it before your warranty runs out. Imagine having the infotainment system reboot itself each time you lose radio/gps like going through a tunnel. I drive through a long tunnel on the highway into Boston and my uptime is 1000+ hours since the April update.
I don't experience signal loss when going through highway tunnels.

·
Registered
64 Posts
UPDATE: I upgraded to an iphone 7. Yeah, I know it is still not that new, but at least it accepts the latest ios. However, I am still having issues with it not connecting. I go to plug it in and randomly it just won't connect. The only thing I can do is a reboot. The soft reboot using Start, Reverse and Neutral shift works and I have upgraded the infotainment system recently. Again - it is not the cable because if I connect my phone to the cable and it does not work, it connects after the reboot without me moving the phone or cable. Wish there was an easier way to do the soft reboot.

My next test is to eliminate apps from carplay and see if that helps.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Honda Insight EX
3,273 Posts
UPDATE: I upgraded to an iphone 7. Yeah, I know it is still not that new, but at least it accepts the latest ios. However, I am still having issues with it not connecting. I go to plug it in and randomly it just won't connect. The only thing I can do is a reboot. The soft reboot using Start, Reverse and Neutral shift works and I have upgraded the infotainment system recently. Again - it is not the cable because if I connect my phone to the cable and it does not work, it connects after the reboot without me moving the phone or cable. Wish there was an easier way to do the soft reboot.

My next test is to eliminate apps from carplay and see if that helps.
I use an iPhone 7 for CarPlay, too. It has been working fine for me since I got the Insight almost 2 years ago. Your infotainment system could be the problem if swapping cable, phone, and updating to the latest infotainment software doesn't fix your stability issue. Wouldn't surprise me if a few infotainment systems were duds out of the thousands of units manufactured.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I use an iPhone 7 for CarPlay, too. It has been working fine for me since I got the Insight almost 2 years ago. Your infotainment system could be the problem if swapping cable, phone, and updating to the latest infotainment software doesn't fix your stability issue. Wouldn't surprise me if a few infotainment systems were duds out of the thousands of units manufactured.
Yes, I am beginning to think that may be the case.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I'm having regular disconnects. I've swapped cables but I'm using a 5 pack of lighting cables...so they're all the same. I should try my standard iphone cable. Anyone know if the insight touring has wireless carplay?

·
Premium Member
4,838 Posts
I'm having regular disconnects. I've swapped cables but I'm using a 5 pack of lighting cables...so they're all the same. I should try my standard iphone cable. Anyone know if the insight touring has wireless carplay?
The Gen3 Insight does not have wireless CarPlay. Some aftermarket adapters are suggested in the following Wireless Apple CarPlay thread.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Very thankful I don't have the infotainment reboots I hear about so often.. It's only happened on mine maybe two or three times in the last 52,000+ miles (1 year and 9 months). The only thing I've noticed is a slight drop off in sound quality..
(Update) Sound quality drop off in IOS14 I should have said.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have had the screen go black in my 2019 Honda Insight twice. This last time, I received a call on my Iphone, which was plugged into the car, which went straight to my VM. The sound for the VM went off, indicating that I had missed a call. I pushed on the black screen and determined that the functions were still active, but the screen was black. When I got home I started investigating that issue I determined that the ringer on my Iphone was turned all the way down.
I am wondering if the screen on the car goes black because the ringer on the Iphone is turned all the way down? I will test that out this weekend.
At any rate, I put the car in park, turned it off, open and closed the door and waited for the headlights to go out. I started the car and the screen was back as normal.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Honda Insight EX
3,273 Posts
Very thankful I don't have the infotainment reboots I hear about so often.. It's only happened on mine maybe two or three times in the last 52,000+ miles (1 year and 9 months). The only thing I've noticed is a slight drop off in sound quality..
(Update) Sound quality drop off in IOS14 I should have said.
The April update made my infotainment system more stable. I'm currently at 4200+ hours of uptime without a crash/reboot. :D The farthest I got before was around 2,000 hours and then it would crash/reboot itself.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I have a 2019 and the same thing has happened to me several times. The screen usually reboots on its own and in about 5 seconds or so, it's back to normal. I wouldn't worry too much about it, unless it caused you to miss your exit (GPS) ;)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Here is an update to an earlier post. I was having reboot and dropped sound issues on a regular basis, like daily. Honda has now replaced the entire system as of a week ago. Also, Apple just issued iOS 14.4 with a mention of a Car Play dropped sound issue, but no mention of Pandora as the culprit.

No reboots since the parts replacement. I have had one dropped sound incident with Pandora music. Not perfect, but SO much better than it was. My dealer has been VERY understanding. Aside - the dealer loaned me a 2020 Accord EXL while my Insight was in the shop. In an hour or so of driving Pandora dropped out once. It's not just the Insight. The phone is an iPhone SE2020. I really do not think it's the phone. Car Play was perfect until iOS 14 came out last September.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Honda Insight EX
3,273 Posts

I decided to do the April 2021 software update today so I'm 2-3 days short of 1 year. Still pretty impressive my infotainment didn't reboot/crash for that long. Let's see if the newest software update will get me through another year. :whistle:

·
Super Moderator
2019 OWP Insight EX, 2021 PWP Insight EX
1,804 Posts
I'm resurrecting an old thread here...

As many know, I bought a 2021 EX, and my son now has my (now his) 2019 EX at college.

I had an interesting thing happen in my 2021 EX today in that the volume control (either the knob or steering wheel buttons) has NO affect on the volume. The UI indicated is was raising or lowering the volume, but the sound stayed at the same level. I tried different audio sources, turning the stereo off and back on (which it did), but nothing worked to resolve the volume issue. I finally restarted the car and all was well again. Anyone ever had something so odd happen? Infotainment software is at the most current version.

·
Registered
2021 Honda Insight EX - Platinum White Pearl
82 Posts
I had an interesting thing happen in my 2021 Ex today in that the volume control (either the know of steering wheel buttons) has NO affect on the volume. The UI indicated is was raising or lowering the volume, but the sound stayed at the same level. I tried different audio sources, turning the stereo off and back on (which it did), but nothing worked to resolve the volume issue. I finally restarted the car and all was well again. Anyone ever had something so odd happen? Infotainment software is at the most current version.
The same thing happens regularly in my 2021 EX, it's quite annoying. However, switching sources has always fixed it immediately for me so I'm not sure why that didn't work for you. I remember reading another thread reporting the same issue and they also said switching sources fixed it for them.

·
Super Moderator
1,804 Posts
Happened again today. Same results. I believe this may be due to the USB drive I have inserted. If it happens again, I will remove it and see what happens. All had been fine until I removed it and added music to it the other day.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I had the same issue happen twice in the last week. I had my iPhone connected and nothing but disconnecting the iPhone from the system would fix it. I have used the iPhone for navigation back and forth from Pennsylvania to Florida twice and this never happened. I did just install the recent system update about a week before this occurred. Can we roll back the update?

My volume indicator both times would go from 1 to 11 and nothing higher. The actual volume never changed, just the number changed. Unplug the iPhone and it instantly went back to full normal operation.

·
Super Moderator
1,804 Posts
I had the same issue happen twice in the last week. I had my iPhone connected and nothing but disconnecting the iPhone from the system would fix it. I have used the iPhone for navigation back and forth from Pennsylvania to Florida twice and this never happened. I did just install the recent system update about a week before this occurred. Can we roll back the update?

My volume indicator both times would go from 1 to 11 and nothing higher. The actual volume never changed, just the number changed. Unplug the iPhone and it instantly went back to full normal operation.
I did update to 15.0.2, but the issue predated that by a day. I'll try unplugging the phone before the USB drive to check if it happens again.. Thanks!

121 - 140 of 145 Posts